Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Board compensation?

Posted 01-21-2021 10:21 AM
    I believe that most museum boards operate like most nonprofit organizations with an expectation that board members contribute at a level that they are able to do but I am asking if anyone knows of Museum boards that compensate board members?

Thanks
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Board compensation?

Posted 01-22-2021 06:59 AM
    For any non profit (IRS certified 501(c)(3)) this would be considered unethical and inappropriate, museum or not.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this email and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Board compensation?

Posted 01-22-2021 09:11 AM
    Edited by David Kennedy 01-22-2021 09:13 AM

Patty - 

While very rare, it is not unheard of for some level of compensation to take place. It is normally in the form of reimbursements for travel, etc., as described in this article from the Council of Nonprofits

I would suggest that your organization progress slowly and carefully as this is a mine-field, legally and financially. 

Regardless, I would always question their reason for participation. Are they there to enrich the organization through work, wealth, and wisdom? Or are they there to enrich themselves? If it is the latter, I would suggest they are not board members but contracting consultants.

Good Luck!

Dave K.

------------------------------
    David Kennedy
    Curator of Collections and Exhibits
    US Marshals Museum
    Fort Smith, AR

• 4.  RE: Board compensation?

Posted 01-25-2021 07:18 AM
    Expenses incurred during or as a result of volunteer work for a registered 501(c)(3) organization are tax deductible.  It's a far better practice, if there are significant expenses related to non-profit board service (for example air fare/accommodations for a conference) that the institution pay directly for these if the board member cannot afford to, but his, her or their service is deemed (by the whole board) as essential.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this email and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 5.  RE: Board compensation?

Posted 01-25-2021 01:18 PM
    In my experience in working with dozens of museums, I have not encountered any that provide compensation to board members. I hasten to add that such a thing may certainly exist, and in a quick review of the AAM Code of Ethics, it is not spelled out as being unethical. (This may spark further discussion, I should think.) Few museums have the wherewithal to pay board members, and there is a long tradition of expecting unpaid, volunteer membership on museum boards.

In working with charitable foundations, I have observed one that does provide compensation, but I firmly believe that the board members are sincerely devoted to the mission of the foundation. And in this particular case, it would be unlikely that board members (heads of national organizations for arts or health, university presidents, etc.) could take advantage of the foundation's grants.

Best,
    Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY