Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  STEAM or Maker Education Programs (especially in Art Museums)

Posted 10-15-2018 11:15 AM

I am looking to connect with museums that offer youth programs with a STEAM or maker education focus. Specifically:
    - Art museums
    - Programs for kids 9-15 years old
    - Programs that are more than just a drop-in experience (e.g. spring break camp, summer camp, after school club)

I'm also interested to hear from museums who are interested in growing in this area!
    Many thanks!

Alice (aanderson@artsmia.org)

------------------------------
    Alice Anderson
    Manager of Audience Research and Impact
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: STEAM or Maker Education Programs (especially in Art Museums)

Posted 10-16-2018 11:29 AM
    HI Alice,,
    Newark Museum has been doing quite a bit of thinking about this topic, and we are most happy to share our experiences.  You can contact me, and I will introduce you to other members of our team who are working on different aspects of our MakerSPACE and School, Youth and Family Programs.
    Also, there was a presentation at AAM last Spring - colleagues from Newark Museum, Denver Art Museum and Peabody Essex Museum talked about "I Made it at the Art Museum" focusing on "maker spaces".  Happy to make those connections.
    Lastly, check out the new plans for Pittsburgh Children's Museum three part exhibition space that focuses on different kinds of making, including an art studio.
    Cheers,
    Sonnet Takahisa
    Director, Strategic Education Initiatives
    Newark Museum
    stakahisa@newarkmuseum.org 
    973-596-6612

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: STEAM or Maker Education Programs (especially in Art Museums)

Posted 10-17-2018 10:16 AM
    I second the support for the Pittsburgh Children's Museum programs. They are tiered so all ages can enjoy, and since it is the first thing you do, you can leave your work on drying racks while you visit the remainder of the museum. I think it is a great idea to not have slightly damp artworks going through your exhibition galleries! (both as a parent and registrar).

Amy Baskette
    Registrar
    Albuquerque Museum
    Albuquerque NM