Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Curators Curating

Posted 07-21-2021 01:42 PM
    I am interested in organizing a book about what curators do, how, and why - as defined and practice by actual curators, not restaurant owners who curate wine lists.  At this time my concept is to interview curators who have been in the field for many years and have been responsible for collection acquisition and removals, research, interpretation (especially exhibition), staff management, preservation, and, related matters.  My interview questions are evolving and I am happy to share where they are as of this request, with suggestions being most welcome.  My goal is for the book to be conversational and informative about a "calling" people know little about.  All too often writings (hard copy or digital) about aspects of the museum field are either done by people with no or little museum experience, or, they focus on matters unrelated to museum practices when it comes to their collections.  Oddly, with the possible exception of contemporary art curating, there is little written by either curators or directors about their on-the-job work.    I would especially like to hear from colleagues in natural history museums.  During my career I was a curator for sixteen years and loved every minute of it.  I approached subsequent administrative, trustee, teaching, and directing positions from a curatorial perspective.  This kept me close to collections.

Thank you,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

sh.miller2@verizon.net

------------------------------
    Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

Executive Director Retired
    Boscobel Restoration, Inc.
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more