Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-15-2020 01:30 PM
    The education depart for my museum is looking to develop a fee structure for honorariums and speaker fees. I have looked through the threads and have not found a lot of information so I thought I would start a new post. I am interested to see what other institutions pay presenters and speakers for lectures that you host. For example what would you pay someone to come in and give a hour talk either virtual or in-person. Does this differ if the person was part of a day long program with other presenters or just had a table with information. Also what do you charge when you go to other museums or out in the community to give lectures. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

------------------------------
    Sarah Davis
    Museum Educator - Public Programs
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-16-2020 05:50 AM
    Hi Sarah-

In the end it all comes down to your budget line. In general, we pay $150 for a 1-2 hour program. Try looking into Speaker Bureaus near you. The Detroit Historical Society might be someone to reach out to, they have an established Bureau at $250 charge for nonprofit, $400 for corporate, and a $50 discount if setup by a museum member. https://detroithistorical.org/speakers-bureau Hope this helps a little!

Cathy Fitzpatrick
    Program Coordinator
    Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm
    fitzpatrickc@rochesterhills.org

Michele Dunham
    Education Program Coordinator
    Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm
    Rochester Hills MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-17-2020 09:20 AM

In Canada we follow the CARFAC schedule CARFAC-RAAV Minimum Recommended Fee Schedule - Royalties and fees for visual and media artists in Canada

CARFAC-RAAV Minimum Recommended Fee Schedule remove preview
    CARFAC-RAAV Minimum Recommended Fee Schedule - Royalties and fees for visual and media artists in Canada
    2020 Fee Schedule The CARFAC-RAAV Minimum Recommended Fee Schedule provides guidelines on what visual and media artists should be paid for their copyright and other professional services. Canadian Copyright laws provide artists with the right to be paid for exhibitions and reproductions, and most public funders require that museums and public galleries pay royalties and fees according to our guidelines.
    View this on CARFAC-RAAV Minimum Recommended Fee Schedule >

Section 4 has fees listed for presentations. We extend the same fee to art historians, curators, educator, etc. 

Mary Reid
    Director/Curator
    Woodstock Art Gallery
    Woodstock ON

• 4.  RE: Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-21-2020 09:47 AM

Thanks for this I will take a look. 

Sarah Davis
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 5.  RE: Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-16-2020 07:24 AM
    This is a dicey question.  For a symposium, we usually ask the participant with the greatest experience and creds to state a fee and decide if we can afford to pay all the same.  A lot depends on travel, etc. and whether the speaker is the only one.  Also, much depends upon the region of the country, urban vs. suburban, rural.

Finally, if I am asked to speak about an element of content related to my museum, I do not charge.  I consider it part of my job and promulgation of our mission.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this email and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 6.  RE: Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-18-2020 10:11 AM

We came across this resource recently and have found it quite useful to address this question concerning pay for artists and speakers:

WAGE: "Since its founding in 2008, W.A.G.E.'s work has developed in service of a single achievable goal-the regulated payment of artist fees in the nonprofit sector"

https://wageforwork.com/fee-calculator?#top

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

• 7.  RE: Honorariums and Speaker Fees

Posted 12-21-2020 09:49 AM

This is very helpful thank you. 

Sarah Davis
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL