Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  solutions to financial distress

Posted 03-13-2019 11:30 AM
    I am working on a book about ways museums have emerged from financial distress. If your museum has turned things around, I would love to hear from you - off list to laura@lauraroberts.com.

In addition, I am looking for examples around a couple of specific strategies: moving the museum, shifting to a more relevant focus, rethinking ambitious plans, and changing governance structures. If you can point me towards those (or other stories) please let me know. I am particularly interested in stories of smaller museums coming out of financial crisis and emerging stronger.

Thank you!

Laura Roberts

------------------------------
    Laura Roberts
    Faculty, Harvard Extension and
    Principal, Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: solutions to financial distress

Posted 03-14-2019 08:53 AM
    Hey Laura,

The Penn Museum at the University of Pennsylvania has done a pretty amazing job with itself over the last 15 years or so.  I would reach out to them.  The Please Touch Museum moved its location, had major debt issues, and now has straightened out its financials.  Also, the Barnes Foundation (where I am at now) could be a good study of a necessary move to become financially viable.

Conor

Conor Hepp
    Director of Visitor Services
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more