Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Annual Reports

Posted 11-17-2021 12:21 PM
    Is it good practice for museums to provide annual reports to stakeholders?  Should these be posted on-line?  We are a mining museum.  I sampled a few other mining museums and have not found any annual reports or other reports to stakeholders posted on-line, with the exception of one site which posted its annual financial audit.

------------------------------
    Todd Myers
    Chair Governance Committee
    National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum
    Leadville CO
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Annual Reports

Posted 11-18-2021 09:44 AM
    Hi Todd, 

In the interests of nonprofit transparency and accountability, I think it is a good idea to make our museums' annual reports widely available. We post our annual report on our website, have physical copies in our visitor center, and mail and email copies to our key stakeholders. I'm not sure the percentage of museums who are currently doing this, but I think it is the direction the field is and should be moving in. Interested in hearing others' thoughts! 

Best,
    Sheridan

Sheridan Small
    Director of Education
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Annual Reports

Posted 11-18-2021 10:13 AM

I think it is very important to keep stakeholders informed of your progress.  If you want them to be invested in your success, they need to see it. 

We actually try to have a little fun with ours, calling it our UnAnnual Report.  Instead of charts and statistics, we provide information in the way of fun trivia, a crossword puzzle, and articles with lots of pictures. 

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

hklinkhamer@venicefl.gov

(941) 486-2490