Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Accommodating Adults with Disabilities Question

Posted 01-05-2017 03:45 PM

Hello

I work for a small Victorian Natural History museum in Philadelphia.  Admission to the museum is free and often a great option for Adult Day Camp programs to bring groups on any given day.  Most of these groups bring adults with intellectual disabilities and, while they always seem to enjoy their visit, I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on how we can better accommodate them.  With every day visitors, admission is self guided through our exhibit space after we provide a brief introduction  and they are free to explore our extensive collection of specimens, including: bird and mammal taxidermy, fossils, rocks, minerals, shells, etc.

Because we are a certified National Historic Landmark, we have stipulations to preserve our building in its current state and, therefore, cannot make our institution wheelchair accessible at the moment.  We do have a teaching collection of specimens that we allow scheduled school classes to touch but, for an every day visit, we would like to modify our orientation to best suit the needs of these groups.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from other employees or volunteers at small museums, science museums, historic sites, etc. or anyone who has experience with adults with intellectual disabilities.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    - Michele
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Accommodating Adults with Disabilities Question

Posted 01-06-2017 07:07 AM

Have you spoken with the groups directly about what they would like? Or what would be most engaging for them? Personally, that's where I would begin. Good luck!!

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Accommodating Adults with Disabilities Question

Posted 01-06-2017 07:15 AM

We sometimes host groups of individuals with intellectual disabilities (and also have several i.d. volunteers). In our experience, most i.d. visitors arrive with attendants - who may either help them mediate the site or have their own interests and questions.

Our preferred - but not required - framework for all visitors is a mediated, docent led, tour. We specifically offer that to organized groups, so that one or more docent - depending upon the group size - is guiding the visit. We have found, not surprisingly, that attendants/care-givers have somewhat different interests and sometimes engage the site differently from their clients, which often extends the time-on-tour as well as the dialogic quality of the whole group experience.

The success of the visit usually turns on the quality of that group dialogue.

(We also are a NHL, but have - carefully - retrofitted some areas with lifts/ramps to accommodate mobility impaired persons.)

Kevin Coffee
    Oneida Community Mansion House
    Oneida, NY

• 4.  RE: Accommodating Adults with Disabilities Question

Posted 01-06-2017 10:17 AM

Hi!

At a former smaller history museum I worked with we would often get adult groups with a variety of needs. One of the most challenging parts for us is that since we were also a free museum they would not often tell us they were coming leaving us completely unprepared. So we started trying to contact their activity directors to let them know that their experience could be more engaging if they give us notice. It made things a lot easier on all of us. Of course not everyone would abide by this but it did help. 

In terms of specific programming or types of activities it might help to ask the directors about that too. Our museum had training from a great organization that provided support for children on the autism spectrum. We were then able to determine what changes we could make to existing programming that the museum could accommodate and would be beneficial to the groups.

If there are groups like this in your area it might make sense to try and set up time for them to tour the museum so they could offer suggestions. 

I can't wait to see what other ideas people have!

Sara Arnas
    Grants Manager
    Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
    Chicago IL

• 5.  RE: Accommodating Adults with Disabilities Question

Posted 01-06-2017 10:41 AM

We've had a similar experience at the New York Transit Museum - day habilitation groups would come to the museum as general admission visitors but we felt we could offer them a better experience if they instead booked a group tour in advance.

We decided to start a new program called Day Habilitation Day. It's a free 3 hour program when we have our special education educators stationed throughout the museum with touch objects and other activities, and we market the program to all the day habs that were previously coming on their own (as well as other organizations nearby). During the event at an information/welcome table we offer resources like a map of quieter spaces in the museum for any adults who felt overwhelmed by noise, we offer noise-quieting headphones, and we also had information about our group visits for adults with disabilities. We specifically schedule the event on days when we know the museum will be less busy (bus maintenance days, for example, when we don't have any visiting schools).

We found that day habs really appreciated the designated day for their groups. It has definitely cut down on the number of groups that come on their own with no group tour booked, and it's helped us develop closer relationships with organizations that serve adults with disabilities. We offer Day Habilitation Day three times a year and it's a very low-cost and easy program with big impact. Happy to provide more information if you'd like. 

Best,

Elyse Newman

Elyse Newman
    Education Manager
    New York Transit Museum
    Brooklyn NY

• 6.  RE: Accommodating Adults with Disabilities Question

Posted 11-19-2018 01:03 PM
    Hello, I was hoping someone could assist me. I am a Curator who recently was asked to work with volunteer and/or perhaps intern with autism. I am really, really happy to do this, but the individual arrived unexpectedly with a unannounced provider (I think an aide is more the impression I get) and emails back and forth setting up the logistics cc-ing various family members and individuals with whom I have not been introduced. We are a small institution so I do not have the luxury of consulting a HR person or a museum lawyer about ADA or such things. I do not want to overstep my boundaries, but I feel a little confused by all the parties involved who have not been introduced. If there's a program to follow I would like to know. Does anyone know an appropriate way I can ask who these individuals are, how involved they need to be and/or if I need to communicate with them? If there's a series of goals or a program the individual with autism is working with I think it would be helpful for me to know so I could work best with them...

I hope I haven't violated anything or been offensive here, but it seems like these are fair questions to ask and I'm confused about how to go about this. Alternatively if someone knows a resource I can reach out to that would be wonderful also!