Open Forum

Β View Only
  • 1.  Museum - University Semester Collaborations OR Museums as University Learning Laboratories

Posted 09-19-2018 04:23 PM
    Hello all!

I am researching existing museum-university collaborations that utilize museums as part of the university syllabus in a collaborative relationship.

Specifically I am looking to see if there are universities that reach out to museums or museums that reach out to universities to create the following type of collaborative relationship:
    • Either the university or the museum creates an actual, implementable project.
    • The university course professor works with the museum administration to refine and define the course project that will work for the students and provide creative information to the museum throughout the semester.
    • This project is incorporated into the semester long curriculum/syllabus for a specific university course.
    • Some aspect of the museum is researched (per the project type); at the end of the semester several project solutions are provided to the museum based on the student work/research for that semester. (Public presentations would be valuable for many reasons.)
    • The museum and museum staff/administrators serve as a resource/laboratory for the students throughout the semester.
    • Portions of semester project solutions may be utilized by the museum as viability of implementation is assessed by the museum
    The types of projects are not limited to museum studies (curatorial, collections, etc) but could include the following and more:
    • Business studies could assess overall business model or certain financial aspects of a museum and offer comments, suggestions or alternative models.
    • Commercial art, advertising, and/or public relations classes could provide ideas for new marketing, new branding or general PR campaigns for the museum as a whole or for specific upcoming exhibits or programs.
    • Education classes could develop potential educational programs in association with the museum.
    • History classes could associate with local history museums (or art history classes with local art museums or historic preservation/conservation classes with local historical sites or science classes with local science museum or botanical garden) to create research programs, potential exhibits, or simply utilize the museum, historic site botanical garden or other as a semester long collaborator in learning.
    Such collaborations have the potential to create win-win-win scenarios for the museum, the university, the students in areas of: learning; funding opportunities; long term museum associations; appreciation for museums by university students; creative, cutting edge ideas for the museums; overall, positive PR for all involved and potentially so many other areas.

If your museum or university is involved in such a program, it would be much appreciated if you would contact me and provide details.

Noel Knille, AIA, ASLA, MPA, MA in Museum Studies
    nhsknille@gmail.com

------------------------------
    Noel Knille
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum - University Semester Collaborations OR Museums as University Learning Laboratories

Posted 09-20-2018 09:11 AM
    Hi Noel,

I'm an alum of the University of Washington Museology graduate program. You might try looking into their Specialization in Museum Evaluation (link to the site below). It's a specific course track for students wanting to focus on museum evaluation, and it's structured so that students in their second year complete a year-long evaluation project with a local museum.

Specialization in museum evaluation

Jana Greenslit
    Evaluation & Research Coordinator
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Chicago IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum - University Semester Collaborations OR Museums as University Learning Laboratories

Posted 09-21-2018 08:03 AM
    Noel,

Good morning and greetings!

Thanks for asking about available information through the American Alliance of Museums, which we are a member of.

We act as a resource for both Florida Atlantic University (FAU) and Museum of Discovery and Science (MODS) as they conduct university semester collaborations with their museum (STEM / STEAM).

I copied a section from a PR pieces which explain a little more - as the easiest way to give some information – no coffee yet on a Friday morning ….sorry !

I also sent you an email with some additional information and contacts. 

😊

"Daruma Tech's collaboration with MODS, which involved over 120 students and a coalition of academic, commercial, and non-profit partners, was conducted through MODS' APP-titude internship program, in which teams of high school students designed and built over a dozen mobile apps highlighting MODS exhibits partnership with Florida Atlantic University (FAU) and the museum's APP-titude program."

Dr Marie Petrie (FAU) and Joe Cytacki (MODS) are leaders for their organizations with Joe being the driving force since its inception.

This is on-going, we are excited to participate, and Daruma Tech and Dr Petrie are looking to expand this collaboration with other institutions.

I hope this helps.

Please contact me for ways you feel we can expand our reach.

Richard Griswold
    Director
    Daruma Tech
    Boca Raton FL
    (561) 990-1625

• 4.  RE: Museum - University Semester Collaborations OR Museums as University Learning Laboratories

Posted 09-20-2018 11:58 AM
    Noel,

Have you thought about reaching out to the Association of Academic Museums and Galleries list? We have some great discussions there and I expect you'd get some very interesting responses!

AAMG groups.io Group
    Groups remove preview
    AAMG groups.io Group
    WELCOME to the AAMG LISTSERV (formerly AAMG-L Yahoo! Groups) ASSOCIATION of ACADEMIC MUSEUMS and GALLERIES ***************************************************** The Association of Academic Museums and Galleries (AAMG) is the leading educational and professional organization for academic museums, galleries, and collections.
    View this on Groups >

Meredith

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC