Open Forum

View Only

Experiences from foreign museum workers in the U.S.

• 1.  Experiences from foreign museum workers in the U.S.

Posted 01-28-2017 06:57 PM
    Hi museum people!

I am about to celebrate my first year as a young museum worker, but also as an alien museum worker. 
    I am French and I came to the U.S. right after I graduated with a master in history of art and archaeology with a specialization in museum studies. I thought coming to the U.S and volunteering in American museums would be an easy and quick way to have a first job experience and an interesting starting point in my career. I wasn't wrong! Since almost 1 year now, I am living a wonderful work experience in the museum where I am volunteering. Sharing and comparingexperiences between American and European museum workers are also very enriching, including via the AAM Forums. 

Today I am thinking to extend my experience here and apply for paid jobs in museums. I know that It is a difficult path. Therefore I was wondering if there were foreign (non-immigrant/immigrant) museum workers who would like to share their experiences. How difficult was the process to find a job as a foreign worker in the U.S.? Which path did you take to find your job ? (Internship/Fellowship, job with working visa, etc.)  Did you find your experience enriching for your career? 

Thank you in advance for your answers.
    Best regards,

Ana

------------------------------
    Ana Paredes
    Volunteer
    Charles River Museum of Industry
    Waltham MA
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more