Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  First LGBTQ exhibition

Posted 07-04-2018 11:22 AM

Hi, we are planning our first LGBTQ exhibition titled Art after Stonewall and we are thinking  of creating a focus group to help us design programs that will create dialogue and educate our community.
    We want to discourage negativity, suggestions?
    Miriam Machado 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: First LGBTQ exhibition

Posted 07-05-2018 09:03 AM
    I would contact a local LGBTQ Meet Up group and look for participants that way. 
    They can also list it as an event for their members. 
    (speaking as someone from the community)

------------------------------
    Lauren Furey
    Manager of Visitor Engagement
    Mariners' Museum
    Newport News VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: First LGBTQ exhibition

Posted 07-05-2018 10:59 AM

Reaching out to a discussion group is a great idea.  We have hosted a Family Equality Day for three years and initially reached out to our staff, board and members to ask for partnership advice as well as the local chapter of PFLAG and other similar organizations.  In the small amount of time we have done the program we have had almost no disagreement/opposition (two phone calls) so I hope you will be pleasantly surprised that there will be less negativity than you might think.  If you would like to speak to the person who organizes the program let me know and I can send you their email.

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA

• 4.  RE: First LGBTQ exhibition

Posted 07-05-2018 12:34 PM
    Miriam,
    I am very pleased that your museum is planning now for a Stonewall 50 exhibition.  Please put together your advisory group during exhibition planning rather than having a focus group for approving/not approving final decisions.

Organize the group from your area's LGBTQ+ community while you are developing the scope of the project.  You did not mention your museum's name or location, but it is likely that there are LGBTQ+ support groups and/or communities there.  They can also then contribute to the community access plans.  The LGBTQ+ Welcoming Guidelines has very helpful suggestions concerning how museum staff teams can work with advisory groups.  It is a free download on the AAM web site under Resources or LGBTQ Alliance. 

Find out whether there are other Stonewall 50 plans in your area and strongly consider linking them for shared planning and, later, promotion. NYC had a very successful Stonewall 25 Crawl of exhibitions and installations. 

Art after Stonewall seems very general. You may want to be more specific about your exhibition's theme.  LGBTQ+ Art After Stonewall? Protest Art after Stonewall? 

Feel free to contact me via e-mail.

• 5.  RE: First LGBTQ exhibition

Posted 07-06-2018 05:51 PM
    ​Miriam,

Last year we worked with a community advisory group to help us prepare to host a travelling exhibit on racial and ethnic stereotypes--also our first explicitly tackling this issue--and they were incredibly helpful in numerous ways: connecting us with people to participate in programs and events; helping us prepare for any negative responses; and identifying training for staff and volunteers. We recruited as many group members as we could from different racial and ethnic communities, kept the agendas focused and respectful of their time, and kept the face-to-face meetings to three 1 1/2 hour meetings. One of the most important things the group members really helped us with was anticipating strong negative reactions and helping us talk through how to defuse difficult situations. In the event, by the way, we were pleasantly surprised at the overwhelmingly positive responses from visitors, but we were more confident *because* we had planned for the worst.

Best,
    Liz Stewart
    Renton History Museum
    Renton, WA

Elizabeth Stewart PhD
    Director
    Renton History Museum
    Renton WA

• 6.  RE: First LGBTQ exhibition

Posted 07-13-2018 05:18 PM
    I recently read this article which could be an interesting way to approach LGBTQ education outreach to children in the context of Caribbean latinx artists which are accessible in Miami collections. Please keep me updated on your progress as I'm a Miami/Brooklyn based queer artist and would love to learn more about your practice and attend the show. 
    Gracias,
    Coralina Rodriguez Meyer

Coralina Meyer
    Artist
    Brooklyn NY