Open Forum

View Only

Loan Inquiry - Slave Shackles

• 1.  Loan Inquiry - Slave Shackles

Posted 03-11-2020 10:12 AM
    Edited by Jordan Adams 03-11-2020 10:13 AM

Hello,  

My name is Jordan Adams, and I work for the Orange County Regional History Center. We are putting together an exhibit for August 2020 – February 2021 to commemorate the Ocoee voting day massacre in 1920. I'm reaching out to the AAM community to see if anyone has a pair of slave shackles available for loan. We are a Smithsonian Affiliate and are Accredited through AAM.

Thank you so much for your time and for helping us tell such an important story. Also, if you know of someone/an institution that may have shackles available for loan, we would be interested in that information as well. Please reach out with any questions, or comments. 

Name and brief description of exhibition: Yesterday, This Was Home: The Ocoee Massacre of 1920, will commemorate 100 years since the 1920 Voting Day Massacre in Ocoee, FL. The exhibit will focus mainly on the massacre itself, but will also show other examples of racial violence and terror in the Central Florida area as well as provide historical context for the African American experience in Florida. 

------------------------------
    Jordan Adams
    Assistant Registrar
    Jordan.Adams@ocfl.net
    Orange County Regional History Center
    Orlando FL
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more