Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-15-2017 06:12 AM

Interpretation and object display are crucial to making your collections engaging for your audiences.  Why is that so important to museums today? 
    Need your ideas. 

Thanks a lot.
    Ishaq Mohammed Bello, 
    Chief Technical Officer (Education),
    National Commission for Museums and Monuments, 
    Kaduna, Kaduna State - Nigeria. 
    +2348033303587.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-19-2017 03:49 PM
    As curators, developers and history and science enthusiasts, we do not need much prompting to understand the stories that give meaning to objects and works of art. For instance, if I encounter <g class="gr_ gr_531 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" id="531" data-gr-id="531">a</g> 18th-century bellows used for a hearth in <g class="gr_ gr_309 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" id="309" data-gr-id="309">a</g> early colonial era house I can imagine the water freezing in the tankards in a home of that time period, and the things people did to stay warm, such as a pan of coals under the bed. It is because of the mental extension I make that give the object significance. However, for many viewers of this moderately valuable historic <g class="gr_ gr_514 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="514" data-gr-id="514">object</g> it will seem quaint, and others will not understand even what it is used for.

That is why we must provide context for our visitors, to enrich their understanding of the human experience.

Please excuse the analogy, I suspect water frozen in your drinking cups in the morning is not an issue in most of Nigeria, but it is an <g class="gr_ gr_712 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" id="712" data-gr-id="712">images</g> that was provided by a tour guide in a historic house near where I live in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Thanks for putting out a query like this, sometimes we need to revisit our basic <g class="gr_ gr_832 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="832" data-gr-id="832">tenents</g>.

------------------------------
    Edward Malouf
    Principal
    Content•Design Collaborative LLC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-20-2017 06:50 AM
    Edited by Colin Windhorst 12-20-2017 07:17 AM

It is a good question.  Interpretation is a guide to meaning.  It is achieved in many ways, which is the art of curating an exhibit.  One way to do this is by providing context in space and time.  Where did this artifact or document come from?  Who made it and when?  How was it used, how did this change over of time?  The context can be social, economic, agricultural, diplomatic, or however we choose to see it.   Meaning is also expressed through reflection on the item, in either written, oral form, or in some other medium, which shows, depicts, remembers, analyzes, measures, observes, listens to or acts upon it in some manner.  Interpretation can be enhanced by demonstrating how the artifact is, was, or possibly will be used in the future.  Meaning is also acquired through more formal means, as part of records in catalogues, encyclopedia's, and other mechanisms of definition; though this is often seen as secondary, it is still valuable.  With so much information on-line these days, the digital records surrounding an object can be vast, and yet are accessible to a much wider audience.  The poet John Donne famously declared that no-one is an island.  The same could be said of any material or digital object used by human beings.  They matter to us in some way or another, and interpretation is the art of explaining that. and conveying it to others in an interesting and engaging way.

Colin Windhorst, PhD
    Digital Curation
    University of Maine
    Orono, Maine, USA

• 4.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-21-2017 07:00 AM
    My mantra and challenge for interpretation has evolved to
    So what?
    Who cares?
    What difference does it make?
    What will people do as a result of engaging with the stories, place, objects, landscapes, living collections, processes, traditions, etc.

And, a strong hats off to Freeman Tilden.

Kathryn Boardman
    Principal, Cherry Valley Group
    Adjunct Faculty, Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

• 5.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-20-2017 05:09 PM
    ​Dr. Malouf's reply is wonderful.  I would only add a paraphrase:  interpretation answer's the question "So what?"

Joe Elliott
    PhD student
    Galveston TX
    jmelliot@utmb.edu

• 6.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-21-2017 10:17 AM
    I agree with all of the rich responses and will add that interpretation can also be used as a model for building the necessary skills and strategies to be a better observer of material culture and therefore more able to make self-facilitated connections. For this reason I always believe a range or spectrum of interpretive approaches makes sense. This allows for multiple types of experiences to take place during a visit ranging from new found connections, building visual literacy skills to provoking thought and interaction. Interpretation's goal is engagement, leading to impact.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 7.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-22-2017 06:28 AM
    In the anthology Exhibiting Culture, Crew and Sims say: "The problem with things is that they are dumb. They are not eloquent, as some thinkers in art museums claim. They are dumb. And if by some ventriloquism they seem to speak, they lie" (159). We need interpretation--both didactic and top-down and participatory and bottom-up--because we can't just look at things and instantly understand what they mean and why they matter. We have to take what's in front of us and decode it in multivocal ways. Things don't speak and they don't ever mean just one thing to one person. We have to contextualize them and help visitors make their own meaning, tell their own stories, and grasp the meanings and stories--good and bad-- these objects have possessed and told over time. Things--art, science, history things-- mean things because we make them mean things and because people over the course of time have made them mean things. Critical thinking is understanding this, and for me, that's what a museum should be doing. 

Mabel Rosenheck PhD
    Wagner Free Institute of Science
    Philadelphia PA

• 8.  RE: Museum Interpretation

Posted 12-27-2017 10:41 AM
    Echoing some of the other replies - interpretation is about activating otherwise static objects or space. Audio tours are a great way to do this in a consistent and accessible way.

Feel free to email me at lauren@uniguide.me with any questions about how to organize audio tour content!

Best regards,
    Lauren

Lauren Bacchus
    Freelance Museum Professional / UniGuide Audio Tour Content Coordinator
    Asheville NC