Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Panel on play?

Posted 08-28-2018 01:28 PM
    Hi all, 

I'm interested in proposing a session on how museums incorporating opportunities to play in their spaces. I'm particularly interested in museums where this is less common, for example in art, history, and natural history museums, not just children's museums or the early learning areas of a science center.

Anyone have any good examples or ideas to share?

Best, 
    Kyrie

Kyrie Kellett, MA CIP 
    Principal 
    & Interpretive Planner
    Mason Bee LLC

Imagine, fund, and create transformative learning experiences.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-29-2018 06:21 AM
    We (the Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah) had an exhibition at the Asian Civilizations museum in Singapore and they had fantastic children's stations located throughout the exhibition.  They  would definitely be a great addition to your panel.

------------------------------
    Susan Day
    Director of Education
    Dar Al-Athar Al-Islamiyyah Museum
    Safat
    Director of EducationDirector of Education

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-29-2018 09:10 AM
    Hi Kyrie,

In the Children and Family Learning division at AMNH, we have developed several programs that take place across our permanent exhibition halls that incorporate play and discovery based learning strategies into the experience of what have been traditionally static Natural History spaces. I'd be happy to speak with you more about our approach and philosophy as well as the success of the strategy. These programs were developed by staff from our Discovery Room with the intent of prototyping experiences in static halls with the potential to help visitors experience them in new, exploratory, and child centered ways. I'm very curious to see how this approach fits into the wider scope of how other kinds of museums approach play and discovery. 

Regards,
    Danny

Daniel Zeiger
    Assistant Director, Children and Family Programs
    American Museum of Natural History
    NY
    dzeiger@amnh.org

• 4.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-29-2018 09:15 AM
    Hi Kyrie

I've been thinking about play in museums a lot because I cull articles on play to share via social media for the children's museum I work at. There are so many articles and studies on children learning best through play. But, what's the magic age when that changes?

I'm feeling ever more convinced that adults benefit by learning through play. I think we often call it by the more grown up word "experimentation." My favorite example is experimental archaeology. 

I'll keep my eyes peeled for examples for you :)

Best,
    Avery

Avery Ligon
    Habitot Children's Museum
    Berkeley CA

• 5.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-29-2018 09:53 AM
    Hi,

I would recommend reaching out to the Toledo Museum of Art--their exhibition in summer 2015 "Playtime" was hugely successful, and they have incorporated play into their exhibitions and programming ever since. Here is a short video of some highlights from the exhibition. 

- Lindsay Grinstead
    Executive Assistant and Project Manager
    Chazen Museum of Art

Lindsay Grinstead
    Executive Assistant to the Director and Project Manager
    Chazen Museum of Art
    Madison WI

• 6.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-29-2018 10:16 AM
    HI Kyrie,

In the past decade, The Strong Museum in Rochester, New York changed its focus from history to play. I would suggest reaching out to Joan Hoffman, vice president of education at jhoffman@museumofplay.org or call The Strong at 585-263-2700 and ask to speak to someone in the education department.

Dean Phelus
    Sr. Director, Leadership Programs
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

• 7.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-29-2018 11:51 AM
    I will echo Dean's suggestion about contacting the Strong.

I am intrigued about the prospect of looking beyond children's museum (and science centers) for play, but will you carve out a role for adult's play, too? 

I am the curator of a computer history museum in Seattle that is based on the philosophy that understanding follows use.

We take play VERY seriously. Indeed, it informs the place. Our visitors might play video games, "play around" with old operating systems and applications, or write a program on a decades-old mainframe, etc., but the entire outlook, philosophy, and "museum voice" is steeped in the language of play. Families with children are an important visitor segment, of course, but we recognize that play isn't just for children, so we try to create exhibits, workshops, programming that scale. I once observed a museum-sponsored workshop on soldering where the ages ranged from about 8 or 9 to the mid-forties.

But its not just the visitors who play. The engineers who do our restorations are engaged in a form of play (our founder is know to ask at the end of years' long restoration efforts, "Did you have fun?"). "Testing" and "prototyping" for exhibits is taken with a similar zeal. Our front-end staff (who serve as facilitators, tour guides, educators, instigators, etc.) is amazing, I think, because they are encouraged to use, experience, and play with the collections.

Aaron

Aaron Alcorn, PhD
    Curator
    Living Computers Museum + Labs
    Seattle

• 8.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 08-30-2018 08:11 AM
    At the Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center we encourage our students to play in all of the museums we visit - even art museums. We host a seminar on play annually and discuss how to communicate to stakeholders about the benefits of play and consider practical techniques for play in ALL gallery spaces. To see a quick snapshot, visit Celebrating Play. If you are interested in speaking further, please contact me at rasoc@si.edu - it would be an exciting potential collaboration.

Cynthia Raso
    Director of Outreach and Engagement
    Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center
    Washington, DC
    rasoc@si.edu

• 9.  RE: Panel on play?

Posted 09-08-2018 04:23 PM
    Hi Kyrie,

I am the Director of the Imperial Valley Desert Museum.  We are a natural history and archaeology museum, covering over 10,000 years of history in the deserts of Southern California.  We often like to say that the "Desert is a Toolbox," and have embraced this through a variety of both indoor and outdoor activities, including a traditional tool-making game and a series of beginner-level hiking programs.

Are you still looking for panelists?  If so, please feel free to give me a call, email, or message in reply to this post.
    (760) 358 7016
    ivdmuseum@gmail.com

Best,

David

David Breeckner, PhD
    Executive Director
    Imperial Valley Desert Museum
    Ocotillo, CA