Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Auction software

Posted 04-20-2021 10:11 AM
    Dear Colleagues,
    We are looking into possible solutions for auction software that could be used at a fundraising event. Does anyone have any platforms they would recommend we research.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-21-2021 10:47 AM
    We used Auctria for an on-line art auction last year and thought it worked well for our needs.

Gwyneth Burak
    Deputy Director
    Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art
    Boulder CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-21-2021 01:56 PM
    Hi Mark,

There is a possible solution with Blackbaud, I just confirmed with Blackbaud's sales person.  You can touch base with them directly.  Have informed her that you will reach out to her. 

I was in touch with Catherine McAlister Catherine.McAlister@blackbaud.com

Thanks
    ~Geetha
    Director - Client Relations
    codemantra 
    www.codemantra.com

Geetha V MBA
    Director Client Relations
    Burlington MA

• 4.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-21-2021 02:54 PM
    Hi Mark! 

We've used GiveSmart for our online silent auction for the past few years, which has worked out very well. We also use Live Auctioneers for our live auction that had to go virtual this year. I'd recommend both platforms and be happy to give you more information on either, if you'd like.

Lesley

Lesley Marchessault
    Provincetown Art Association and Museum
    Provincetown MA

• 5.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-22-2021 09:22 AM
    Mark,

The Virginia Association of Museums used 32Auctions for their online auction for a 2-3 week period around its annual meeting in March. I also know of other organizations that have used it, with good results. It's easy to set up, easy for people to register and bid, and the cost to the organization holding the auction is reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Martha Katz-Hyman
    Independent Curator
    Newport News, VA

• 6.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-23-2021 01:44 PM
    Edited by Susan Rubin 04-23-2021 01:58 PM

Desert Botanical Garden is currently using Auction Software and Event Management Software | MaestroSoft and the person currently running the auction has been very happy with it.  I found it very easy to use from a participant standpoint.  It is optimized for use on cellphones, which worked best for our purposes. One hurdle to overcome was that some folks were getting emails related to signing up for the auction ending up in their spam folders.  Also, although all our target audience had cell phones, they still vary greatly in levels of comfort and familiarity utilizing technology so having staff reachable to answer questions by phone and email has been really important.  Also, notifying people about the auction in different ways turned out to be key because some emails were going into junk folders.  Our auction is only open to people who have bought tickets to the gala but most others I've seen allow others to bid, as well.  The Garden Auction has included "newly added" items every day it runs to increase excitement and encourage people to visit repeatedly and see what's new.  This seems to have had good effect so far. 

I just "attended" the Scottsdale Arts virtual gala and their online auction was powered by Mobile Bidding & Fundraising Management Software | GiveSmart  and as a participant, I also found that a really comfortable format to use on my phone. 

https://yumasymp2021.ggo.bid/bidding/package-browse

Yuma Art Symposium ran theirs https://yumasymp2021.ggo.bid/bidding/package-browse  on: Online Bidding | Mobile Bidding and Online Auctions in one, easy-to-use product

I accessed that one from my desktop.  

Phoenix Public Library Foundation used mobilecause.com for their online fundraiser Phoenix Public Library Foundation and it was also easy to use from a participant standpoint 

Susan Rubin
    Special Events Coordinator
    Desert Botanical Garden
    Phoenix AZ

• 7.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-26-2021 03:14 PM
    We also have used 32Auctions and were pleased with it.

Robin Gabriel
    Executive Director
    Kaminski House Museum
    Georgetown SC

• 8.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-25-2021 01:55 PM
    Edited by Karen Hall 04-25-2021 01:55 PM
    Hello Mark,
    We use OneCause. We are on the last year of a 3-year contract with them. Given our small staff, this big tool was super helpful in streamlining the work we did. In our first year, we uploaded donations of items as they came in - using the software to bundle them before the event was super helpful. The registration and auction (live and silent) processes were very easy (although there is a learning curve to the software - true of any). The biggest hits for our staff were streamlining the assignment of tables and making the post-event thank you so much easier. The biggest hits for attendees were the lack of lines at registration and check-out and the ability to pay through their phones. We did not use the bidding software, though we will in the future. I have seen it work in similar nonprofits. 

This past year, we went virtual and chose not to use their solution to that - because it was brand new. However, this year, we will use their virtual event software. Overall, we've been very happy with them. The cost is high (IMHO), but worth it for saved staffing time and customer satisfaction.
    Karen

Karen Hall Ph.D.
    Associate Director
    Cascades Raptor Center
    Eugene OR

• 9.  RE: Auction software

Posted 04-26-2021 08:31 AM
    Thank you so much. Very helpful.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL