Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How does your institution define 'User Experience'?

Posted 07-15-2019 09:39 AM
    Hi all - My institution is looking to define 'user experience (UX)' within its structure and operations. I am curious how your institution defines UX, how it incorporates UX into its varied activities, and how UX responsibilities are overseen.

For example, does your organization consider UX as part of visitor services, marketing initiatives, exhibits/education/public programs, or evaluation OR does it define it as an overall approach within which all of the above departments are a part cohesively?

If you are open to my being in touch with you to discuss more please let me know too. I am looking compile as many examples of organizational frameworks and structures.

Cheers!
    - Sheri

--

Sheri Levinsky-Raskin

s.levinskyraskin@gmail.com
    twitter: MusEdNyc

Assistant Vice President, Research & Evaluation,
    Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: How does your institution define 'User Experience'?

Posted 07-16-2019 06:53 AM

There is a large and active body of academic research on the related terms of customer experience and guest experience that can be easily found in the services marketing/management and hospitality literature by using a google scholar search using either or both terms.  I offer a couple of examples below. For those interested and not near an academic library, Google Scholar will often (not always) have a pdf  available with a click for articles of interest. Two of the three below have hot links to a pdf.

Hwang, J., & Seo, S. (2016). A critical review of research on customer experience management: Theoretical, methodological and cultural perspectives. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management28(10), 2218-2246..

Rawson, A., Duncan, E., & Jones, C. (2013). The truth about customer experience. Harvard Business Review91(9), 90-98.

Kandampully, J., Zhang, T., & Jaakkola, E. (2018). Customer experience management in hospitality: A literature synthesis, new understanding and research agenda. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management30(1), 21-56.

There are entire courses dedicated to this topic so enjoy your search. If you are near a college/university that offers a hospitality program or courses in service marketing/management give them a call as they can offer more suggestions.

Robert C. Ford, PhD
    Professor of Management Emeritus
    Department of Management
    College of Business Administration
    4000 Central Florida Blvd.
    P.O. Box 161400
    University of Central Florida
    Orlando, Florida 32816-1400
    Phone: 407-601-4616; Fax: 407-823-3725

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: How does your institution define 'User Experience'?

Posted 07-16-2019 02:02 PM
    Thank you Robert. The references are great. 

I hope to also identify examples of UX in practice at museums and how it is organized, which departments have oversight, etc. Might you have any recommendations for folks in either such positions at museums or whose institutions define UX in their work at-large?

I'd love recommendations of practice and organizational structure hat prioritize and recognize UX in museums.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Sheri

------------------------------
    Sheri Levinsky-Raskin
    Assistant Vice President, Research & Evaluation
    Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
    New York NY
    ------------------------------