Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collection Management Policy

Posted 01-23-2018 02:10 PM
    Edited by Daisy Figueroa 01-24-2018 01:28 PM
    Hi All,

I need some advice, I am creating the collection management policy at our museum, we are not accredited and the staff does not have official museum titles, only the director has a museum title, the rest of our staff has the same non-descriptive job title. Our job duties have been given to us but we also overlap at times. I wanted to know how to deal with this issue when writing our policy since we do not have a registration department, although I handle the collection, and exact title roles, should I just only include the director as the only staff when writing the care of collections and acquisitions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!
    Have a great day.

------------------------------
    Daisy Figueroa
    Museum Client Representative
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collection Management Policy

Posted 01-24-2018 05:00 PM
    Depending on the overall staff size and the role of the director, when referring to specific positions, I would recommend saying "museum staff" or coming up with descriptive titles for employees and defining them within the collection mgmt policy. AAM has a policy guide: http://www.aam-us.org/docs/default-source/continuum/developing-a-cmp-final.pdf?sfvrsn=4 and Things Great and Small by Simmons is a good resource. I would also highly recommend doing a MAP or CAP once you have a draft policy. Even if it isn't finalized, MAP/CAP can help you really work through it and get some outside guidance.

Ray Smith PhD
    Director
    Corita Art Center
    Los Angeles CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collection Management Policy

Posted 01-31-2018 03:59 PM
    Hi Rachel,

Thank you! I have been doing my research but I haven't come across a policy on the web with the same situation as ours. I will definitely be looking at those resources you suggested and also the MAP/CAP as well.

Thank you again!

Daisy Figueroa
    Museum Client Representative
    Forest Lawn Museum