Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-11-2017 02:44 PM
    Hello everyone,

My colleagues and I are currently writing a proposal to test a pilot program using 3D audio in one of our library exhibit spaces. The technology recognizes the position of a visitor in the space, and curated sounds will play from provided headphones depending on which case they are standing in front of. We are experimenting with binaural sound, which provides a surround-sound effect. Is anybody in this community familiar with other institutions that have conducted similar immersive audio tours, possibly in academic libraries?

Best,
    Elizabeth

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Bouton
    Museum Studies Graduate Student
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-12-2017 11:49 AM
    Elizabeth,

The Musical Instrument Museum (https://mim.org) in Phoenix, AZ does this exceptionally well. You are offered headphones for free with your admission and there is music at almost every station in the museum. As you walk up to an exhibit the music that refers to that section plays music or interviews that are relevant to the instruments, time period, country or genre before you. As you walk away, the music fades out. Labels inform you of which piece of music/tape/interview you are listening to and what is to come next.

I was very impressed by this immersive experience.

Erin

Erin Quinn Valcho
    Museum Curator
    Lacey Museum
    Lacey WA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-12-2017 12:17 PM
    The one I've experiences is the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, and the effect is amazing.

Jenny Benjamin
    Director
    Museum of Vision
    San Francisco CA

• 4.  RE: 3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-13-2017 11:07 AM
    Jenny is absolutely correct - the Musical Instrument Museum has employed 3D audio very successfully and the visitors love it!

--
    Ford W. Bell, DVM 

• 5.  RE: 3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-13-2017 05:59 AM
    They had this kind of system at the David Bowie exhibit and it was quite wonderful. This is a very different topic, perhaps, but the sound moved seamlessly between cases. 

I am not a fan of audio tours in general, but found that this one worked well because it didn't require any management on my part. 

I suspect that getting the engineering right on this kind of project can be a real challenge. I'd want to visit installations done by the company you may work with to be sure they can meet your expectations.

Best of luck!

Guy

--------------------------------------
    Guy Hermann, Principal
    museumINSIGHTS
    o: 860-245-1323
    c: 860-857-7363
    Web:  Info about us
    Blog:  Observations, opinions, and the occasional rant
    Facebook: Odd and Interesting links and news about the firm
    LinkedIn:  Personal information

• 6.  RE: 3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-14-2017 07:58 PM
    You might want to check out "Her Long Black Hair," a binaural audio walk through Central Park in New York. It was a story, not a museum tour, but used both the the location and the audio technology very well. You can download the file and associated images from Public Art Fund: Janet Cardiff - it was first run in 2005 and now can be downloaded free for anyone to use on a smartphone.

Sean Blinn
    Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House
    Bedminster NJ

• 7.  RE: 3D AUDIO FOR IMMERSIVE VISITOR EXPERIENCE

Posted 04-17-2017 10:55 AM
    I second Sean's suggestion. Janet Cardiff is brilliant at designing sound experiences and this tour could give you some good ideas for how to tell stories!

[Robin White] [Owen]
    [Principal]
    [www.mediacombo.net]
    [robin@mediacombo.net]
    [646-472-5145]