Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Volunteer Screening

• 1.  Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-04-2019 03:54 PM
    Hello All,

My museum is starting a volunteer group and am wondering about volunteer screening.

Do you all have procedures and policies in place to handle volunteers who bother staff members and other volunteers? What do you require as far as background checks? We have a small group of volunteers and an even smaller staff. We don't have the luxury of offending and alienating the local community.

Do you have any suggestions?

Best,
    Shelby

------------------------------
    Shelby Miller
    Curator/Dr. of Education and Outreach
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-05-2019 07:20 AM
    Dear Shelby - job descriptions and volunteer agreements, which the volunteer signs and in which is made aware of expectations, are good practice.  Because the Slater is a department of a High School, and because some of our volunteers work in collections and archives, we require finger printing (which staff is required to undergo as well).

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-05-2019 02:39 PM
    Shelby,

The subject of volunteer management is one where you'll find a lot of variation in the field. I'm curious as to what your primary goal(s) are in this case, however. I ask because in my experience, you need to spend up-front time designing a program to minimize problems down the road. It doesn't have to be difficult, however.

You mention wanting to start a volunteer "group," do you mean a formal volunteer program by this? Also, you specifically ask about policies for volunteers who "bother staff members and other volunteers" while referencing background checks as well. While both can and should be a part of good practice, the big issue to me is always WHAT is included and HOW such policies are implemented. You also mention a concern about offending and alienating your small community, but I would suggest that the best way to avoid this is to have clear, well-though-out guidelines/policies in place that are applied consistently.

Assuming we're talking about ongoing (regular) volunteers who are scheduled throughout the year, as opposed to one-time or event volunteers, I think it can be helpful to think of having "paid and volunteer staff." There should be clear expectations about the work to be done, and there should also be clear expectations regarding when the work is to be done, and with whom if the tasks are specialized or sensitive, etc. Each person, whether paid or volunteer, should have an obligation to show up on a scheduled day and on-time, or to let their lead/supervisor know of a change or delay, etc.

Everyone on your paid and volunteer staff team should also have an obligation to treat co-workers with respect. You likely have policies for this in place for paid staff (including sexual harassment prevention), so consider having volunteers receive a copy of these and acknowledge in writing that they have read and understand them, just as you would do when hiring a new staff member. That way, you can simply follow accepted supervisory practice if someone steps out of line.

There should be clear orientation and training provided  and documented (about your institution, its history, values and mission, as well as the specific tasks to be done) in order to ensure that your "team" has a consistent body of knowledge and clear expectations to work from. As for background checks, I personally think that what's involved should be commensurate with the duties/responsibilities you are bestowing upon an individual, whether paid or volunteer. If you have folks who will be working with young children, versus someone doing filing in a back office, different requirements should apply. And whatever you do, paid staff should be subject to at least the same requirements, and probably more, just to be fair.

The American Association for Museum Volunteers offers standards and best practices for museum volunteer programs online, so you can pursue this in more detail I hope these thoughts are helpful, and I wish you all the best in your efforts!

Paul Hammond
    Independent Museum Professional
    Riverside, California

• 4.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-05-2019 04:48 PM
    Hello Shelby,

In terms of volunteer screening during the application process, prospective volunteers submit an application, interview with us, and - if accepted - attend volunteer orientation. Pennsylvania requires background checks for volunteers that work with children, so our volunteers submit a Criminal Background check and a Child Abuse clearance, which are offered free through the state, plus an FBI Fingerprint check which has a small fee. 

In terms of policies for volunteers who bother other staff members and volunteers - our Volunteer Handbook lays out our expectations regarding workplace behavior and treatment towards team members and guests. All volunteers sign an Expectations Form during orientation that says they agreed to follow the policies in the Volunteer Handbook. We also have a disciplinary action policy in our Handbook to deal with any problems that may arise. It starts with a verbal warning, and progresses to written warnings, suspension, and termination. So if there is an issue with a volunteer, we have a clearly defined policy to address the problem and identify an improvement plan that volunteers are made aware of and agree to follow at orientation.

We also have written volunteer position descriptions. This can be helpful if you have a community member apply to be a volunteer that you think may not be a good fit. You don't want to offend the community, as you mention, but you also don't want to accept someone as a volunteer that you know isn't suited to a particular role. Having a written position description with responsibilities and required skills can lay out guidelines during the screening process to determine if an applicant is well suited for a volunteer position and can provide a rational for why you may not accept someone.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kelly Gascoine
    Volunteer and Internship Manager
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 5.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-05-2019 05:22 PM
    Thank you all so much. 

I think the next step here is a volunteer training manual and job descriptions. So I will be working on that. 

Best,
    Shelby

Shelby Miller
    Curator/Dr. of Education and Outreach
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL

• 6.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-10-2019 05:03 PM
    Dear Shelby, 

I am currently working on my capstone project in Museum Studies and the topic involves the development of a standard for museum volunteer manuals. I have researched 20 handbooks from a diverse group of museums around the country. I have also done some informal polling of museum volunteers. 

When my template is complete, I will be happy to pass it on if you, or anyone else, would like it. I can also recommend some excellent examples of manuals done specifically for docent teams. 

Kind Regards, 
    Pam

Pamela Dadlani
    Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens
    Delray Beach FL

• 7.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-10-2019 06:19 PM
    Hi Pam,

I really appreciate your offer and would love to see your suggestion!

My volunteers are mostly working directly with the collection as assistant curators essentially. We are preparing for a move and need to document and inventory over 10,000 artifacts. 

I think my biggest problem is this group was formed before I arrived and therefore, I will have to retrofit these policies and may face resistance from volunteers and board members. Do you have any suggestions on that?

Best,
    Shelby

• 8.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-11-2019 09:36 AM
    Hi All, I would love to look at the manual as well if you're willing to shre.

Candice Anderson
    Executive Director
    Cool Culture
    Brooklyn NY

• 9.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-12-2019 10:48 AM
    Pam,

I would also love to see your template when it's complete. Thank you for the offer to share!

Best,

Lindsey Hammel
    Manager for Volunteer and Visitor Services
    Birmingham Museum of Art
    Birmingham AL

• 10.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-12-2019 09:09 PM
    Hello <g class="gr_ gr_29 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation replaceWithoutSep" id="29" data-gr-id="29">Pam</g> I would also like to see your template and hear about your manual suggestions. We are in the process of updating our volunteer program and I would find it useful.
    Thanks
    Marilynn

Marilynn Havelka
    Chief Administrative Officer
    Ruthven Park
    Cayuga ON

• 11.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-13-2019 06:55 AM
    We would love to see it as well!  THANK YOU!  Vivian

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 12.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 04-11-2019 12:22 PM
    I would love a copy of your template.  Sounds quite helpful.  BoardKatie@gmail.com

Kathryn Boardman
    Principal
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

• 13.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 04-11-2019 01:38 PM

I would also like a copy of your template – thanks for sharing.

Marilynn Havelka   Ruthven Park NHS  marilynn@ruthvenpark.ca

• 14.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 04-12-2019 08:35 AM
    I would also be very interested in your template and thanks for sharing it with the community mbflynnarts@gmail.com
    Maribeth Flynn
    --
    Maribeth Flynn
    Museum Education Consultant
    flynnmb@gmail.com

• 15.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 04-12-2019 08:38 AM
    I am also interested in a copy of your template. 

Thank you for your hard work! Great topic for your capstone project.

All the best,

--
    Angelica Fernholz
    Development Associate
    U of MN Landscape Arboretum  
    3675 Arboretum Drive | Chaska, MN 55318
    Office: 612-301-1264 | Fax: 612-301-1274 | email: afernhol@umn.edu

Support the Arboretum's new Horticulture and Operations Headquarters and your gift will be DOUBLED with a match from Al and Mary Agnes McQuinn

• 16.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 04-12-2019 09:30 AM
    Hi Pam, 

We are always looking for volunteers so it would be great if I could have a look at your manual. Thanks for the help!
    emckeon@fairfield.edu

Emily McKeon
    Museum Assistant
    Fairfield University Art Museum
    Fairfield CT

• 17.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 03-07-2019 02:26 PM
    Shelby,
    This is one of the topics we will cover in our new online professional development course Managing Museum Volunteers coming this May as part of how to troubleshoot issues that arise with volunteers and discuss how to solve them. Museum Study online professional development for cultural institutions - Managing Museum Volunteers
    Museumstudy remove preview
    Museum Study online professional development for cultural institutions - Managing Museum Volunteers
    Managing Museum Volunteers course. Instructor Tara Young
    View this on Museumstudy >

Bradford Bredehoft
    CEO
    Museum Study - Museum Study, LLC

• 18.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 04-12-2019 12:01 PM
    Dear Shelbi.... and everyone else who has expressed a desire in receiving a copy of my template...

I am currently in middle of edits for my capstone and the template. The earliest I will be able to release any information is after final submission and remarks. Graduation is the end of May... I am almost there!

I want to thank everyone for all the support and interest you have shown. For those who have worked on a capstone, thesis or other major project, you can imagine the stress that comes before the success of completing such an endeavor. Your interest confirms the importance of what I am doing and that there are museums who can use this kind of help.

This is wonderful affirmation that I am doing work that matters. 

I really appreciate all of your support!

Kind Regards, 
    Pam

Pamela Stefl Dadlani
    pamdadlani@hotmail.com

• 19.  RE: Volunteer Screening

Posted 07-15-2019 06:27 AM
    Dear Shelby, et. al., 

I finished my capstone project and am ready to share the museum volunteer manual I developed. Instead of sharing the file individually, I have made it available to all museums to download anytime they wish. It is parked on my website and can be accessed through the following link: https://www.babyboomeronabudget.com/free-museum-volunteer-manual-templa. 

If anyone has any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact me! I am continuing my research in the museums of Europe and am currently in Vienna where I enjoy some strong WIFI. 

Kind Regards, 
    Pam

Pamela Dadlani
    pamdadlani@hotmail.com