Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gift Store

Posted 06-09-2017 04:55 PM
    Hello everyone! The museum I work at is expanding/moving to a new location. We have never had a gift store in the current building, but will in the new facility. Any pointers/tips on how to start? I am mainly wanting to know if there are any general museum gift store suppliers, but any information would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Stephanie G

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gift Store

Posted 06-12-2017 06:01 AM
    Hello Stephanie.

The hub for everything you need to get started is the Museum Store Association website: http://www.MuseumStoreAssociation.org. It has a broad range of information including many links to vendors of museum-quality products. You'll want to make sure your shop is up and running by Thanksgiving so you can take full advantage of Museum Store Sunday, November 26, 2017.

We also have extensive information about all aspects of museum stores through the Information Center by Topic section of our website: http://www.museumstoreconsult.com/articles. We have been museum store consultants for twenty-five years, working with over 350 museums of all types and sizes, so let us know if we can be of assistance.

Best of luck with your shop.

Andrew Andoniadis
    Museum Store Consultant
    Andoniadis Retail Services
    Portland OR
    Andrew@MuseumStoreConsult.com(503) 629-9279

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gift Store

Posted 06-12-2017 08:49 AM
    I am happy to offer you assistance. There is a Museum Store Association, which is a good source of information. There are also some terrific consultants who can help with shop design and purchasing. There are many gift shows you can attend. Depending on your museum mission, there are so many directions you can head. If you would like to email me, I can help narrow things down for you.
    hbrown@michenerartmuseum.org

Hollie Brown
    Director of Operations
    James A. Michener Art Museum
    Doylestown PA

• 4.  RE: Gift Store

Posted 06-12-2017 09:26 AM
    Hello Stephanie,
    in addition to Andrew's good comments about MSA and timing, Manask & Associates has retail principals located near you and have been providing earned income support for museums in the U.S. for over 20-years. Visit www.manask.com and / or call or email me at 818 557-0636 or artm@manask.com if we can help in any way. Art Manask, founder/principal

Arthur Manask
    Principal
    Manask & Associates
    Burbank CA

• 5.  RE: Gift Store

Posted 06-12-2017 10:39 AM

Hi Stephanie...

In response to your inquiry re: a store for your museum, be sure to contact the Museum Store Association (museumstoreassociation.org)  This association will not only provide you with specifics on how to plan displays and merchandise your store, how to create a budget and project sales but it will also introduce you to a number of colleagues: buyers and managers around the country who can share resources, ideas and save you a lot of time and steps! In addition, the association has a large number of vendors who are experts in working with museum stores and can assist you with custom products for your particular needs.  Feel free to contact me directly if you would like more information.

Alice McAuliffe

Manager of Retail Operations

The Walters Art Museum

410-547-9000 x208

amcauliffe@thewalters.org

• 6.  RE: Gift Store

Posted 06-12-2017 11:35 AM
    Stephanie-If no one has told you, join the Museum Store Association! They have a listserv, regional groups and meetings, as well as the annual conference. It's a wonderful organization that offers all sorts of help to newbies and seasoned shop managers. They also have a vendors section where you can search for products for your shop, companies that will help you in designing a shop and then providing display cases, cash wraps, etc. for your specific space. Their website is museumstoreassociation.org.

Good luck!

Melissa Heaver
    Shop Manager
    Fire Museum of Maryland
    Lutherville MD

• 7.  RE: Gift Store

Posted 06-12-2017 07:28 PM

We use Event Network, which curates most of the items in the stores. But I have also worked with them to feature local partners or products related to zoo-specific exhibits, events, and conservation programs.

http://www.eventnetwork.com/

Hillary Lauren  |  WOODLAND PARK ZOO
    Interpretive Content Developer

ph 206.548.2461 |  hillary.lauren@zoo.org

5500 Phinney Ave. N., Seattle WA 98103

Woodland Park Zoo saves animals and their habitats
    through conservation leadership and engaging
    experiences, inspiring people to learn, care and act.