Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-13-2017 10:57 AM
    Hi All,

I am re-writing the volunteer guidebook for the university museum where I work and came across the question of whether or not to run background checks for volunteers. Our previous volunteer managers never required one, and since most of our volunteers only dedicate 2-3 hours per week as gallery attendants, I am concerned that requiring a background check would discourage prospective volunteers from applying. My colleague suggested requiring background checks only for the few volunteers who help out at our family day events. Does anyone have suggestions regarding requiring background checks for volunteers? Are there any relevant experiences or policies from your organizations that you could share?

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Lauren Williams
    Museum Assistant
    Fairfield University Art Museum
    Fairfield CT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-13-2017 12:56 PM
    Hi Lauren,
    You may want to start with contacting your insurance company and see if they have any requirements or suggestions.  Often, insurance companies will require a background check for anyone that is working with or supervising a minor for liability and safety reasons.  If you do decide to go with a background check, make sure you look into the different kinds as there are some that are just on a national level and won't have information on any potential issues that occurred outside of the US.  

Good luck!

Eloise Wierzbicki
    Customer Service and Sales Representative
    Art Display Essentials
    eloisew@artdisplay.com
    www.artdisplay.com
    www.10-31.com
    www.easelsbyamron.com
    2 West Crisman Road
    Columbia, NJ 07832
    USA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-14-2017 07:27 AM
    I would review the Volunteer Children's Act as well as talk with your insurance company.  Our organization conducts background checks on all volunteers whether they work directly with children or not.  The reasoning is, we have a large number of children visit our location so anyone on our campus has access to children.  We have not experienced anyone declining to provide a background check.

Debbi Huff
    Human Resource Manager
    Ohio History Center - Ohio History Connection
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-14-2017 08:52 AM
    If your museum has a lawyer they consult, that's a good place to start. Some states legally require background checks in certain situations and will define that. So you should check to see if the State of Connecticut requires checks and what those are. If there are no legal requirements, it is a good idea to have all volunteers who work in areas where there are children to do something. That way if something happens I(and the checks will not prevent anything) you can at least show that you took good steps to screen volunteers.

Pennsylvania recently clarified its requirements and made it easy to do PA State Police Criminal Checks and PA Child Abuse Clearance checks on line (free for volunteers). For volunteers here who come from out of state, they also do FBI fingerprinting. For PA, the checks are good for 5 years and volunteers can keep the results and use them for other institutions where they volunteers. When we first introduced them, there was some kick-back - from volunteers who worked behind-the-scenes who rarely encountered minors. That was more in the style they were introduced than the principle of doing them. These days volunteers are used to this and understand that it protects their museum in the event of a lawsuit. If you make sure volunteers understand why they need to do the checks they are more likely to accept the inconvenience and invasion of privacy.

I believe that it is very rare that museums these days do not requires some kind of checks. Do some research to see what is required and what is effective.

Lois Kuter
    Manager of Volunteer Services
    Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
    Philadelphia PA

• 5.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-14-2017 08:56 AM
    The Sheldon Museum of Art conducts criminal background checks on volunteers who work with money and in our collections office/storage. As part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln we are required to conduct sex offender checks on any volunteer who works with youth.

Monica Babcock
    Associate to the Director and Administrative Project Manager
    Sheldon Museum of Art University of Nebraska-Lincoln
    Lincoln NE

• 6.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-14-2017 09:39 AM
    If your volunteers aid with school visits, you can consult the relevant departments of education to learn their policies.

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive
    Now blogging at outsidethemuseumblog on Wordpress.com

If you happen to be in Jacksonville, Florida, visit the artifacts, films and images in our collaboration with Dance Theatre of Harlem and CAAM.  The exhibition Dance Theatre of Harlem: 40 Years of Firsts, is now at the Rita Theatre and Museum, April 15 - July 20, 2017. http://www.ritzjacksonville.com/Museum

James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]
    Alice Walker -- Hard times require furious dancing.
    Mila Jasey -- If you are not at the table, you are on the menu

• 7.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-14-2017 06:42 PM
    We are a city owned museum so all of our volunteers have to undergo background checks. I do understand your concerns about volunteers who don't give much time, but I would suggest that any volunteer who interacts directly with the public or who deals with materials that may be valuable or sensitive undergo one. These are great safeguards and 9.9 times out of 10, there is no problem with a volunteer, but it is better to be safe, especially when dealing with the public.

Sara Phalen JD
    Director/Curator
    West Chicago City Museum
    West Chicago IL

• 8.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-15-2017 10:00 AM
    The more information I have, the more it seems like doing background checks is the right decision. Thank you all for the great advice and for pointing me in the right direction.

Sincerely,
    Lauren

Lauren Williams
    Museum Assistant
    Fairfield University Art Museum
    Fairfield CT

• 9.  RE: Volunteer Background Checks?

Posted 06-16-2017 12:10 PM
    Pennsylvania requires background checks for all volunteers that have direct contact with youth under 18.  For volunteers that are not paid, the fee is waived.  If you search for Pa Child Abuse, you can read additional information.

Brenda Applegate
    Executive Director
    Beaver County Historical Research and Landmark Foundation
    Freedom PA