Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

• 1.  Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-01-2019 01:05 PM

I am curious as to what museum's policies are for animals in the museum. What can you ask? What can't you ask?  I would appreciate directing me to any written policies.

Thanks,

Delta Pick Mello

Executive Director / CEO

Sacramento History Alliance

101 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814

Office: 916-808-7108

Cell: 916-769-7678

FAX: 916-808-5100

Email: dmello@cityofsacramento.org

Inspiring And Connecting People Through History 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-02-2019 07:46 AM
    Hi Delta, 
    I'm a disabled veteran with mostly invisible injuries, and I have a service dog of my own, so I'm answering your questions from my own knowledge of the law and experience in handling service dogs. 

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, you can ask two questions:
    IS that dog needed to help with a disability?
    And
    What tasks is it trained to perform?

Service animals are to help mitigate a person's disability- which may or may not be visible. The dog's legal position in this case is that it is a medical device, no different from an insulin pump or crutches. It is there to provide trained tasks for one person. There is no federal regulating authority on service animals, so there are no ID Cards, vests or certification papers a SD handler needs to have- all of that can be bought online without any evidence of disability or training. (Yeah, they don't even have to wear a vest. I know how frustrating that can be, but the laws err on the side of allowing a dirt-poor person to have this kind of medical device with as little financial drain as possible)

You can tell a dog is a trained SD by their behavior- they shouldn't be running around (unless it is performing a task for its handler such as bringing you admissions money, or running to get help for their handler). It should ABSOLUTELY be potty trained, and making no noise, not bothering or intentionally distracting anyone else, not begging for food or attention from anyone but its handler. 

If you witness a service dog doing these things- then it's obviously not trained well enough for public access, and you can ask the handler to remove the dog from the premises. In that case, you're not kicking them out, you're kicking the dog out. It can and will cause a stir, but if this is a genuinely disabled person with an actual service dog, they will be more understanding, and more than happy to answer your questions. I know my dog sometimes acts out in public- she is after all, just a dog, and has off-days like we do. If she's not behaving, I usually read her the riot act (so to speak), or remove her myself. If I were approached and asked to leave in that instance, I'd likely be frustrated with her, but completely understanding of you and your situation. 

There is a world of difference between service dogs dogs and emotional support animals (ESAs). Only service dogs are granted the right to public access (such as coming to museums- it is against federal law to deny them access) ESAs give the owner the right to own them as far as housing rights and regulations go, and it is up to you and your organization whether you allow them in your building. Some topics, such as a Holocaust museum, ESA access might make sense. Other instances, such as a textile museum, may not. That decision is up to you. 

ESAs provide emotional support, which is not considered a "trained task," and ESA handlers don't have to be disabled to have and own the animal. Additionally, ESAs can be many kinds of animals. Service Dogs are almost always dogs (with a few exceptions made for small horses, but those are rare). 

Please don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have- I'm pretty open about my dog and how I use her. Also, please ensure your greeting/desk staff are educated in this aspect of the ADA. I've been in several instances where I am denied access because either I didn't have her vest yet, or "It's a damn dog, no animals in the building!" Every instance where I have to argue for minutes on her validity (because I'm usually not visibly disabled, or because they don't know the law), and am turned away is humiliating and degrading.  You can tell a service dog by their behavior (quiet, stays by their person, responds to commands, doesn't sniff around, focused on their handler, not interacting with everyone)- if someone tries to slip in with a pet, you'll be able to tell. 

Cheers, and good luck,

------------------------------
    Kristi Moore
    CEO/Owner
    Fredericksburg VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-03-2019 01:33 PM
    Just wanted to say that Kristi's response was terrific.   Thanks.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 4.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-03-2019 02:08 PM
    Thank you Kristi -- very very helpful and insightful!

Delta Mello
    Executive Director/CEO
    Sacramento History Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 5.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-03-2019 11:35 AM
    Good questions, thanks for asking.

We adhere (and point to) the ADA's guidance on service animals. (https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm).

These include the 2 questions employees are allowed to ask per the ADA.

Marc Levitt MLS
    Archivist
    National Naval Aviation Museum
    NAS Pensacola FL

• 6.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-03-2019 02:09 PM
    Hi There,

I know this isn't what your asking however, I just wanted to share (because I'm proud) that we have a pet policy for staff at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. We let staff bring their pets to work up to twice a month as long as the pets are well behaved and house broken. We do not allow fish, birds, or reptiles but have seen lots of dogs, cats and even rabbits. This is applicable only to back of the house and admin staff but it has been very well received and serves as a morale booster and fun perk that staff love! We highly recommend this! 

Thanks,

Ashlee!

Ashlee Powers
    Senior Human Resources Manager
    Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum
    Nashville TN

• 7.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-04-2019 01:15 PM
    I thought I would share a past experience, at one of my previous institutions, with an employee who desired to have an ESA at work.  In evaluating this request, we discovered how difficult it can be to develop policy or respond to individual situations related to support animals. (Service Dogs are much more straightforward.)

In this particular case, I immediately ran into a matter of personal confidentiality, because the employee wasn't obligated to divulge the reason/s an ESA was required at work. At the beginning, the animal was poorly trained, in general, although it had just begun a training regimen. As best as I could learn (and I had the benefit of work with a professional ADA coordinator) there aren't, however, clear guidelines or benchmarks one can rely on to evaluate whether an ESA is adequately trained to function in the work settings in which the employee wished to have it present.

In this particular case, the employee worked regularly both in gallery spaces as well as collections storage, so you can just imagine the potential issues of having an animal in proximity of priceless collection (and loaned) materials. In the end, once the owner could certify that the animal had been trained to sit quietly alone when required, the accommodation we reached allowed the ESA to be present, but absolutely not underfoot -- for example, 1) sitting in our office spaces with the owner, 2) sitting just inside the entrance of storage spaces, within sight and earshot of the owner, and 3) sitting inside of galleries under installation away from any ongoing work.

I should also mention the learning curve for other employees to understand that the animal was not an office pet...that interaction with the animal on duty was not appropriate.

I hope this anecdote helps further the discussion.

Dr. Cleveland Johnson
    Executive Director
    Morris Museum
    Morristown NJ

• 8.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-05-2019 11:51 AM
    ​Dr. Johnson --  Could you elaborate on how you navigated/negotiated the  "matter of personal confidentiality, because the employee wasn't obligated to divulge the reason/s an ESA was required at work."?  Certainly, no one would want the employee to be embarrassed, but surely an employer has the right to ensure that there is a bona fide (ie., professionally-diagnosed) need.  Also, I assume that need means when the employee is becoming emotionally overwhelmed; so, does accommodation include providing a private place for them to go with the animals, to regain calm, etc.?

Joe Elliott
    PhD student
    Galveston TX
    jmelliot@utmb.edu

• 9.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-08-2019 05:33 PM
    Regarding confidentiality, my museum was in partnership with a state university, and the employee in question was a graduate assistant, being paid through the university. Thus, I had the luxury of having the university's ADA office validate the need for accommodations; a wall of confidentiality, regarding the triggering condition/s, was there between the employee and employer. As the employer, I negotiated through the ADA office, proposing possible accommodations, based on the needs as I understood them.

Cleveland Johnson PhD
    Executive Director
    Morris Museum
    Morristown NJ

• 10.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-09-2019 05:44 PM
      |   view attached
    This was a very timely post as we just finalized our policy regarding Admission of Service Animals (full disclosure: I borrowed verbiage from the Field Museum in Chicago).  I've attached our Policy that includes the ADA 2010 published regulations.
    Cheers, Amy

Amy Smith
    Executive Director
    Bakersfield Museum of Art
    Bakersfield CA

Attachment(s)

• 11.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-09-2019 06:14 PM

Thank you all so much for the information.  It has been extremely helpful.

This is my first time using the forum and I am very appreciative of the quick and thoughtful responses.  Thank you!

Delta Pick Mello

Executive Director / CEO

Inspiring and connecting people through history 

Sacramento History Alliance

101 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814

Office: 916-808-7108

Cell: 916-769-7678

FAX: 916-808-5100

Email: dmello@cityofsacramento.org

Time travel device 111219

• 12.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-10-2019 01:19 PM
    I am in a very pet/dog friendly town and deal with this issue quite often. It can be hard to be the "bad guy" having to explain to people the difference between a pet, an ESA and a service animal, and why the first two are not allowed to join the visitor inside our buildings. I have attached two images that I have found to be very helpful. The first is an info graphic that is available at each Visitor Services desk to assist the front line staff in explaining our policy to our visitors. The second is permanent signage that is located at each entry.

Christine Ham
    Membership & Visitor Experience Supervisor
    Whatcom Museum
    Bellingham WA

Attachment(s)

• 13.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-17-2019 12:44 PM
    Hello
    We have just finished and have had our City's Disabiltiy coordinator review our service animal and emotional support animal policies. We are a children's museum and we also have animals in one of our exhibits areas. 
    Here is our policy :

As an accessible and inclusive organization, Madison Children's Museum welcomes visitors with service animals. Following the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Wisconsin State Law, a service animal is defined as any animal that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.

All service animals brought into MCM must be licensed, vaccinated, and under their handler's control for the entirety of the visit. While we invite every visitor to enjoy all of our exhibit spaces, animals may be prohibited from certain areas of the museum for the health and safety of all visitors and animals. These exhibit areas include, but are not limited to , the Rooftop, Hodge Podge Mahahl climber, and the Gerbil Wheel.

In regards to emotional support or therapy animals that do not qualify under the ADA and WI state definitions of service animals, MCM reserves the right to deny access to those animals if they pose any threat to public health or safety, and/or ask that the animal is contained during their visit.

If you have any questions about a specific situation, please call us at 608.256.6445

Sandra Bonnici
    Associate Director of Education, Diversity and Inclusion
    Madison Children's Museum
    Madison WI

• 14.  RE: Pet vs Service vs comfort animal policy

Posted 04-17-2019 05:41 PM
    Delta,

The US Department of Justice, ADA Section has broken the US and its territories into a number of more local levels.   Each region has a designated non government organization to assist businesses and non-profit organizations with guidance and interpretation of ADA regulations.  I have used them on a number of occasions, i.e., restricting the length of vehicles displaying handicap placards, license plates, etc., and service animals vs ESDs.  The regional office for the Sacramento area is located in Oakland.  Its been a while, so I don;t have the number handy.  But US DOJ ADA website should have it. 

I usually start with an e-mail and the follow up with a phone calls.  They requested I sent photos of the parking space problem so they could get a better idea of the specific problem..

Raymond Meyer
    Archives-Artifacts
    Safety & Security Manager
    Aerospace Museum of California
    McClellan, CA 95652
    safety-security@aerospaceca.org