Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Latest technologies for sound and video displays

• 1.  Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-20-2019 04:47 PM
    I am curious what the latest fun technology is out there for sound and video displays.

I have had elotouch with flash players for video.. the last item I bought was like a giant phone that ran on android software.  Would like to find out what else is out there that is innovative.

I also would like to create two area where people can sit and listen to sound, but have it more or less restricted to that area.   In the past we have created cones above the projected the sound downward.. but would like to figure out something else..  Also have used headphones.

Thank you
    David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-21-2019 10:37 AM

David,

We use Panphonics speakers when trying to limit the sound.  In our museum sound travels a long way (It's round).  They work well to isolate the sound.  You can get them in different colors too depending on your ceiling color.  We use the 2x2 and also the 1x4.  I'd call them and see if they can send you a sample.  I'm sure they would.  They you just send it back or if it works you can just pay for it and add it your exhibit.

Alan Byler

Audio / Video Lighting Technician

The State Museum of PA

300 North Street

Harrisburg, PA 17120

statemuseumofpa.org

717-783-9913

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-21-2019 11:34 AM
    This is great information Alan.  I will definitely do that.  Is there a US contact you use?

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 4.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-21-2019 12:47 PM

David,

My POC is Joe Dalba.  He may be the North East rep but I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.  His info is below.

Joe Dalba

PanphonicsUSA

904-525-4775 mobile

Thanks,

Alan Byler

Audio / Video Lighting Technician

The State Museum of PA

300 North Street

Harrisburg, PA 17120

statemuseumofpa.org

717-783-9913

• 5.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-26-2019 04:39 PM
    Thank you!

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 6.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-22-2019 10:23 AM
    Hi David,

Another solution we'd like to offer you;

SInce you already have the headsets, our Orpheo audio guide units, not only run audio tours but can also be synched to video systems and can play sound track in multiple languages if needed.  Let me know if we can provide further information and best of success.

Myron Baer
    Managing Director

Myron Baer - Managing Director
    353 Lexington Avenue Suite 404
    New York City, NY 10016
    Tel +1 (212) 464-8255

Myron.Baer@orpheo.us
    http:orpheogroup.com/us

• 7.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-26-2019 04:39 PM
    Thank, I am not looking for audio tours - only self contained display areas.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 8.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-21-2019 11:52 AM
    Hello David,

We have installed an interactive mirror that can be used with any kind of contents. As well, we have the latest interactive showcases, where you can display objects but the glass of the showcase turns to an interactive surface just when you touch it. It is really nice for visitors. To end, we use a special kind of showcase where 3D text and visual forms can "fly" around the objects. I am mentioning the kind of solutions that we have seen working with sucess from visitors expectations. May be you already know them.

If you need more details (videos or photos) about these technological solutions just let me know (rcano@evemuseos.com).

My best regards,

Ricardo Cano MPA
    Museologist
    Guadalajara Jalisco

• 9.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-26-2019 04:41 PM
    I will definitely contact you - thank you Ricardo

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 10.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-22-2019 07:47 AM
    Edited by Xaver von Treyer 08-22-2019 10:39 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello David,

there is a company in Germany that has developed a 3D headphone system capable of very accurate indoor positioning (down to 3" and 1º in head rotation). The product is called usomo and the company is Framed immersive projects. The Ars Electronica Centre in Linz has deemed it worthy of their permanent exhibition and the companies showroom is on permanent dispay at their redesigned exhibition: Ars Electronica Sonic Wildness

I would consider it a next generation audioguide and beyond: it transforms rooms into immersive sonic experiences.

Full disclosure: I do work for the company. I have a background in the audioguide industry and as AV consultant and I have used many different devices, systems and concepts. This is truly impressive.

Best

Xaver von Treyer
    Consultant
    Berlin

Attachment(s)

pdf
    usomo_spring_2019_EN.pdf   2.02 MB 1 version

• 11.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-26-2019 04:43 PM
    Interesting - I will check it out.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 12.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-27-2019 09:36 AM
    Hi, David. I've been looking into bone conduction audio, which a few places are starting to play with:
    http://www.artnews.com/2013/07/23/listen-to-your-moma/
    http://www.ncsm.city.nagoya.jp/cgi-bin/en/exhibition_guide/exhibit.cgi?id=S211

No idea how expensive or difficult it is to pull off...

Best of luck!

Maggie

Maggie Downing

Director of Public Programs & Partnerships
    Georgetown Heritage
    www.georgetownheritage.org

Margaret Downing
    Destination Manager
    Georgetown Heritage
    Washington DC

• 13.  RE: Latest technologies for sound and video displays

Posted 08-28-2019 05:48 AM
    Hi Maggie,

bone conduction headphones are a very interesting field. The only problem is that some people react with nausea to it because their equilibrium sensors in the ear don't like to be excited beyond the known spectrum. They do have the great advantage to solve the hygene problem that on-ear headphones in public spaces have, being subjected to many users during a day: they are much easier to clean and less prone to contamination and breakage.

Best

Xaver von Treyer
    Consultant
    Berlin