Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Standard font size for museum text panels

• 1.  Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-08-2018 11:54 AM
    I am redoing some text panels for my native American museum exhibit from 1996. I understand there is a new standard for museum text panels now, re size of fonts. What is that font size? Thank you!
    Tracey Schmidt
    The Awakening of Turtle Island: Portraits of Native America
    The Artwork of Tracey Schmidt
    Traceyschmidt remove preview
    The Artwork of Tracey Schmidt
    View this on Traceyschmidt >

------------------------------
    Tracey Schmidt
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-09-2018 08:01 AM
    I suggest looking into ADA compliance with font sizes, colors, and styles.

Benjamen Salata
    Project Manager
    Luxam Inc.
    Coral Springs FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-09-2018 09:05 AM

Tracey
    You want to create a hierarchy with font size - the title or topic label is BIG? Fonts in sub topic labels can be a bit smaller. Individual topics smaller still. Specific captions or object labels should be smallest.

The specific size relates to the label - and depends on a lot of variables. Rather than a specific font size, I use the four-foot rule. Type out your label (or simply a word or two) in several font sizes - (24pt, 36pt, 48pt, 72pt, etc.) on a piece of 8.5 x 11 inch paper and tape it to the wall. Stand about four or five feet away and go with the one most comfortable to read.

Whenever in doubt, go BIGGER or your visitors will go home.

David Lewis
    Curatorial
    Aurora IL

• 4.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-10-2018 08:09 AM
    If it is ADA requirements, this will help you understand the latest (2010) changes to ADA and how they affect signage:

SEGD 2012 ADA Update It is accessible from the footer on every page of our website.

Also note that a 70% contrast ratio between text and background is essential for people with low site abilities.This is not in the ADA, but under discussion in the ANSI committee and likely to become part of the standard this year.

Clive

Clive Roux
    CEO
    +1 202 638 5555

SEGD | A multidisciplinary community creating experiences that connect people to place

• 5.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-09-2018 08:45 AM
    Tracey

Are you referring to Smithsonian Standards? I am not aware of a standard for the size of Museum Graphics.

Clive

Clive Roux
    CEO
    +1 202 638 5555

SEGD | A multidisciplinary community creating experiences that connect people to place

• 6.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-09-2018 09:06 AM
    Hello Tracy,
    This is a qualified answer:  
    Font size for primary text is a function of viewing distance.
    For most close proximity viewers (4 feet to 6 feet), 24 point text is recommended.
    For distances of more than 6 feet, 36 point is recommended.
    Contextual paragraphs or entry statements; 40 to 60 + point text.
    We are now seeing more seniors attending and are focusing on the legibility of font choices as well.
    For emphasis of key concepts I recommend using bold font key words or phrases to enhance rapid cognition.
    Adding additional kerning, letter spacing, is often recommended to enhance legibility.

These are general guidelines.
    I hope this is helpful, Ed

Edward Krent
    Consulting Museum Professional
    Sharon MA

• 7.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-10-2018 06:58 AM
    Ed's answer is excellent!  As I age, I find BOLDING much appreciated.  A lot also depends on LIGHT LEVEL and ground color vs. lettering color.

In galleries where you need low light level, go larger and bolder.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 8.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-13-2018 08:02 AM
    Ed's answer is terrific. I would add that column width also impacts legibility. Newspapers have narrow columns because you are meant to read anywhere, perhaps standing on a train platform. Books have wider columns based on the expectation that the reader will be seated, and will be reading for a longer period of time. 

Museums labels work more like newspapers than than books. The reader is most likely standing, and is snacking for basic information.  Narrow columns!  We don't go past 30 characters in a column (for photo caption) and for body text we try to keep to about 20 characters per line.

Sean Kelley
    Senior VP, Director of Interpretation
    Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site
    Philadelphia PA

• 9.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-09-2018 10:28 AM
    We use 18 pt for main text.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 10.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-09-2018 03:48 PM
    Here is a link to the portion of the Smithsonian Guidelines for Accessible Design that deals with labels:

Smithsonian Guidelines for Accessible Exhibition Design

Many of us in the field are also very devoted to Beverly Serrell's book, Exhibit Labels, which addresses legibility as well as content.

Laura Caruso
    Director of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO
    Director of Publications

• 11.  RE: Standard font size for museum text panels

Posted 08-10-2018 10:03 AM

No longer a museum professional but in 1978, when accessibility began to become an issue, with exploring what that meant at the Quadrangle Art Museums in Springfield MA. All these years later I am on the other side of the discussion, in some ways, as I am getting on (66), I have poor eyesight (it was never good) and I am still tall (5'10") but increasingly creaky.

Here is what drives me NUTS: labels with small pitch; labels with eccentric decorative fonts; text printed in a color with low contrast to the background; label font and contrast that ignores problems associated with low light displays required for fragile objects; labels posted so distant from the object I can't find them; labels posted down around my ankles where I cannot read them without bending over in awkward, undignified and sometimes painful ways.

I get that exhibit designers more or less hate the look of labels, but labels are what many of us depend on. We may not own or feel comfortable using smart phones to find the information; we may not be able to afford renting audio tours and/or we just may find them burdensome and unsanitary; we may be deaf (I am half deaf and using a phone or audio device means I can't hear anything else going on around me and that is dangerous); we may be verbal learners who strongly prefer interacting with written text; we may well just be cranks who go to museums everywhere and incessantly, pay the entrance fee, eat at the cafes and buy stuff in the shop and therefore represent an important income stream.

I am fascinated by this thread. May I also suggest that you do some additional research in your membership and community before incurring the cost associated with printing, mounting and posting large numbers of labels.  

Ellen Cutler
    Adjunct Professor