Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Multi-lingual Resources

Posted 07-15-2019 12:46 PM

Hi everyone,

The Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle is researching best practices for increasing language accessibility at our museum. We're interested in creating multilingual interpretive materials for visitors, and we would love to hear from other institutions that have found success incorporating languages other than English into labels, guides, apps, video content, etc.  

A few specific questions we have:

What kinds of interpretive materials do you provide that have been translated? Gallery guides? App-based content? Downloadable resources?

• What have you found in terms of utilization between multi-lingual materials on paper versus digital?

How did you select the languages? Did you decide based on your local community, on visitor demographics, or on other factors? 

What insights do you have into how visitors respond to/interact with multilingual volunteers/staff/docents facilitating in other languages as opposed to just providing translated materials?

Other recommendations or suggestions? 

Thank you, 

Jason Porter (he, him)
    Director, Education+Programs
    Museum of Pop Culture
    jasonp@mopop.org

------------------------------
    Jason Porter EdD
    Director, Education & Programs
    Museum of Pop Culture
    Seattle WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Multi-lingual Resources

Posted 07-16-2019 06:55 AM
    Dear Jason, 

I am Maria Elena Ortiz, Associate Curator at the Perez Art Museum Miami, where we have bilingual initiative. I am happy to get on a call to discuss how we launch our bilingual strategy. 

All best, 
    Maria Elena Ortiz

Maria Ortiz
    Perez Art Museum Miami
    Miami FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Multi-lingual Resources

Posted 07-16-2019 11:19 AM
    Hi Jason,
    I'm a Spanish/English translator specializing in museum work, and I also run a small company that helps museums localize their content into many other languages. In my experience, museums in the U.S. typically prefer to have as much content as possible, including audio guides, brochures, online content, etc. translated into one or two major languages (almost always including Spanish, unless the museum's specialization or audience require otherwise), and then offer a smaller selection of more critical texts (maps, basic signage) in as many as a dozen languages so that almost all visitors feel acknowledged and can navigate the museum's offerings.

I've found that the museums that most successfully welcome non-English speaking audiences do so as part of a broader accessibility plan that includes things like hiring multilingual staff, providing resources for people with hearing disabilities, and so on. Needless to say, budget is a key factor in all of this.

Let me know if you'd like to talk more via email or over the phone! If you're interested, I could also tell you about my experiences collaborating with museums in Europe, which tend to take a very different approach to multilingualism and accessibility. Contact info my signature.

Kevin Gerry Dunn
    Translator

www.kgdtranslation.com
    info@kgdtranslation.com
    (+1) (520) 477-7507