Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Benefit Packages for Mid-sized Museums

Posted 07-26-2018 03:14 PM

My Board is (finally) looking into putting together a benefits package for all fulltime staff.  My personal experience has run from non-existent to excellent state benefits.  I would like to know what your museums offer and approximately what percent of payroll your benefits packages equal.  A good rule of thumb is 30%, but this Board is looking for something lower (naturally).  Feel free to private message me with particulars.  Thanks in advance.

David Beard

Executive Director

USS KIDD Veterans Museum

Baton Rouge, LA

225-342-1942, x. 12

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Benefit Packages for Mid-sized Museums

Posted 08-09-2018 10:31 AM
    No comments?  Maybe a sore subject these days.

------------------------------
    David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Benefit Packages for Mid-sized Museums

Posted 08-10-2018 12:06 PM

You might have better luck soliciting data about benefits packages if you had a survey that people could fill out anonymously. Benefits are something that is fairly guarded and you would have to obtain the kind of information you're looking for from financial departments or other museum directors/presidents. It might be worth checking with AAM to see if such a survey had been done or if they have any information to share with your institution.

Best,
    Dawn

Dawn Roberts
    Director of Collections
    Chicago Academy of Sciences / Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
    Chicago IL

• 4.  RE: Benefit Packages for Mid-sized Museums

Posted 08-13-2018 06:56 AM
    HR professionals routinely participate in total compensation surveys and several are conducted in both the museum (AAMD, Quatt and AAM come to mind) and general nonprofit (Non-Profit Compensation Survey, state associations) arenas. Many large brokers (Gallagher, WTW, Mercer, etc) also conduct surveys. If your organization participates, they are generally provided to you for free. If not, there is a reasonable cost.

As an HR professional, I caution against conducting your own informal survey as the information you get mostikely will not be presented to you in a way that you can compare accurately.

Roslyn Schaffer, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
    Chief Human Resources Officer
    The Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia, PA
    rschaffer@barnesfoundation.org