Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Donor Wall Ideas

• 1.  Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-29-2020 07:14 PM
    Hi all,
    I am working on a new donor wall idea and leaning toward some type of sandwich acrylic pieces.  I want to be able to correct and add names.  

I am thinking of several pieces set off from the wall and maybe 8 areas for different levels.

Has anyone done this before or have an idea for how to do this?
    Thanks
    David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 09:07 AM

David,

We are also looking into this as we design a new building. I actually Googled Donor Walls and went to images. There are some amazing examples out there, which I shared with our design team. They were able to take what we liked from these various examples and design something beautiful for us. Three-D, different giving levels, and easy to update.

Not the most hi-tech answer, but sometimes the simplest start is the best.

Karen

Karen E. Stone

Museum Division Manager

St. Mary's County MD

Cell #240-925-0293

karen.stone@stmarysmd.com

Museum Logo - Final  alliance_accredited_fullcolor

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 05:13 PM
    You are correct - not sure why I didn't do that.. thanks

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 4.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 11:34 AM
    We have created donor walls and exhibit signs using the pizzazz mount system. It creates different heights between the boards and allows you to remove a section for updating. Using them gives you a lot of options for updating your exhibit.

https://pizazzsystems.com/Multimounts

Jennifer HIcks
    Senior Designer & Manager
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
    Pittsburgh PA

• 5.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 05:16 PM
    I like these - thanks

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 6.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 12:37 PM
    Think about using vinyl as your safety net. Make level, colors, whatever the case, just make sure the final names are applied with vinyl NOT sandblasted in. Companies will try to urge that on you so you have to pay them forever.  Pick it, stick it... vinyl letters. Oh yeah.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 7.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 12:40 PM
    I would also put the vinyl on the backside of your acrylic panel. Keeps little fingers from picking away the names!

Jennifer HIcks
    Senior Designer & Manager
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
    Pittsburgh PA

• 8.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 10-01-2020 07:07 AM
    I agree with Matthew.  We've done vinyl on glass panels that are part of a railing and stair system.  Works great and looks great ... hasn't peeled in 8 years.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this email and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 9.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 09-30-2020 03:40 PM
    For what it's worth, my advice would be to work with something digital using LED flat screen technology that is ever so easily changed and updated. There are some really nice and visually attractive programs to work with too.
    Courtney
    Courtney B. Wilson
    Courtney B. Wilson & Associates, LLC
    Museum Advisors and Consultants
    410-340-4226

• 10.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 10-02-2020 11:46 AM

I encourage you to think of the "Donor Wall" as a work of art - perhaps engaging local artists in the design of it. The Wall could reinforce your mission – maybe a living wall or something that incorporates light or an abstract design...  I recently saw a cool wall with the names of donors on pencils (which is another way to make "corrections" low cost).  

I have not worked in development, so I am very open to pushback, but I think the foundational message is the whole is much greater than the sum of individual donations (rather than font size matters).  Have fun!

Vicky

Vicky Marchand

• 11.  RE: Donor Wall Ideas

Posted 10-16-2020 02:50 PM
    Not sure how helpful this is, but we used to have a donor wall of acrylic panels in various colors with white print for the names of the donors. It was in a giant and imposing black steel frame. When I moved the collection I oversee to the new location, I had one of our artists on staff take all the panels and let him create a collage on the wall including strategic empty spaces for future donors. I told him, "think Piet Mondrian" and it came out beautifully.

Andrew Schlauch
    Executive Director of the Chihuly Collection
    Morean Arts Center
    Saint Petersburg FL