Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Publishing-Graduate Student

Posted 02-21-2021 07:44 PM
    Hello All,

I am a 5th-semester Museum Studies and Digital Curation Graduate Student at Johns Hopkins University. I have recently completed a research paper titled Digital Curation and Preservation in Small and Midsized Museums in the Age of COVID-19. I will provide an abstract below. I am reaching out today to ask if there is any potential interest in publishing on the subject. As a student, this would be my first academic publication and I am unsure of the next steps. Any advice or introductions would be greatly appreciated. 

Abstract  

In the wake of the 2020's global pandemic, known as COVID-19 and the novel coronavirus, there has been a shift toward remote work and increased online presence for almost every industry. Museums, known for their unmatchable experiences with physical objects, are uniquely challenged by these changes. While the world attempts to find a new normal, small and medium-sized museums, reliant heavily upon onsite visitorship, gift shop purchases, and exhibition ticket sales have had to restructure their budgets and put increased focus on digitization and online presence. While many museums have been reluctant to take on massive digitization projects and creating online content and exhibitions, the pandemic has forced many institutions to reflect on the value of these tools. This research also sheds light on the current challenges related to the new protocols and based on government mandates and stay at home-orders as well as economic challenges in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The anecdotal responses of six museums and three consultation organizations used for this research provide a functional range of responses regarding the building of online content. This research creates a framework based on the challenges and opportunities small and midsize museums are facing accompanied by recommendations for the future as the pandemic rages on.  

Keywords: digital curation, online exhibition, digitization, coronavirus, COVID-19, social distancing, pivoting, social media 

------------------------------
    Samantha Wilkinson
    Education Programming Assistant
    Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit
    Detroit MI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Publishing-Graduate Student

Posted 02-22-2021 09:31 AM
    There are a number of journals that would be interested in your paper. I'm the Editor of Curator: The Museum Journal, but you can also review the instructions to authors at our website (CuratorJournal.org for links), but other good peer-reviewed journals like Museum Management and Curatorship, Visitor Studies, Museums & Social Issues, etc... If you search Teasdale's recent paper on accessing peer-reviewed literature, you can find a list of all the journals.

You don't need an introduction to the editor.  You can simply follow the guidelines and submit your paper.

Best wishes.

John

John Fraser PhD
    President & CEO
    Knology
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Publishing-Graduate Student

Posted 02-25-2021 12:20 PM
    John,
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll look into these suggestions.

Samantha Wilkinson
    Education Programming Assistant
    Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit
    Detroit MI