Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-03-2017 12:44 AM

I am in my Senior year at University and am working on a paper discussing history museums worldwide, how they create an experience for their visitors, how the industry has changed, and where it is headed in the future.  Though I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject, my knowledge comes almost entirely from secondary sources and I don't feel this adequately allows me to understand the concepts I am seeking to cover.  I would love to speak with anyone who works, or has worked, in the museum industry in order to expand my knowledge.

I am specifically looking to learn about:

-How museums attract visitors - Do you reach out to specific demographic groups?  Utilize social media accounts? Have free visit days?  Guest speakers?    Which strategies do you feel are most successful in certain situations and why?

-Creating a positive visitor experience 

-How to relate knowledge (ex. why placards vs. audio guides - what factors influence the decision)

-Where do you feel the museum industry will be in the future?  - Will audio guides become more prevalent?  How do you think the museum experience will be different 25 years from now?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic and to discuss it further with anyone who is interested.

Thank you,

Stephanie

------------------------------
    Stephanie Cox
    Pasadena, CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-04-2017 09:08 AM

Hi Stephanie, you might be interested in checking out the International Museum Theatre Alliance (IMTAL). We are an organization that supports the use of theatre in museums as an educational tool and a way to engage visitors. You'll find many history museums that have integrated programming that utilizes theatre and theatrical technique as a means of engaging, entertaining, and educating their visitors. I hope this helps! Good luck with your research. 

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-04-2017 01:09 PM

Dear Ms. Cox:

Inasmuch as you are in Pasadena, I recommend that you contact the person who is in charge of visitors' services / admissions at the Huntington Library, Gallery & Gardens and ask for an appointment so that you can discuss your questions face to face and in the museum itself.  You could do the same for the LA County Natural History Museum and LACMA.  Although these museums are not "history" museums per se, their overall approach to attracting visitors is similar. (Both the Natural History Museum and the Huntington Library have installations and exhibitions that are primarily historical in nature.)

One of the best ways to understand how a museum attracts visitors is to go to the museum yourself, watch how visitors buy tickets, and ask visitors what brought them to the museum and why they are there.

Afterwards, if you would like to discuss these topics with me or members of my staff by telephone or in person, please feel free to contact me.  San Simeon is not too far away from Pasadena, after all!

Sincerely,

Mary L. Levkoff

Mary L. Levkoff
    Museum Director, Hearst Castle
    Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument
    750 Hearst Castle Road
    San Simeon CA 93452

• 4.  RE: Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-04-2017 01:26 PM

Hi Stephanie,

I am at a historic site close to you in the City of Industry, CA, and we have been working on answering this question as well! We are currently still using guided tours but have worked diligently to change how they are done. For us, we believe that in order to create a positive visitor experience, we must take the visitors interests, thoughts, and questions and fold that into their tour experience. We want to have conversations with our guests. Instead of the traditional house tour model, we ask our docents to spend a little time before each tour to get to know the audience. Where they are from, what brings them here, if there is anything that they would like to know more about, etc.. We also are working harder at presenting information as storytellers and not as lecturers. The reason we are doing this is because we feel that is the missing component from museums and from the internet...stories. We can find out information anywhere but we are lacking in human interactions. Also as history museums, we sometimes remove the humanity from the history that we share. At the Homestead, we are working to make the Workman and Temple families relatable to 21st century audiences. They are imperfect people with imperfect families. That had tremendous highs and crushing lows, like most people do. We become interested in things when we feel we can understand them or see them as an extension of ourselves. Now I sound like I am on a soapbox, my apologies...if you would like to talk more, I would be happy to offer my two cents and hear more about your research and thoughts on the subject.

All the best. 

Gennie Truelock
    Programs Manager
    Workman & Temple Family Homestead Museum
    City of Industry CA

• 5.  RE: Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-05-2017 11:42 AM

While you may not be able to make this public program in Brooklyn, you may be interested in the book:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-evolution-of-public-history-richard-rabinowitz-and-deborah-schwartz-in-conversation-tickets-29532842527

Alexander Tronolone
    Manager of Teaching & Learning, Grades 6 - 12+
    Brooklyn Historical Society
    Brooklyn NY

• 6.  RE: Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-05-2017 12:54 PM

Hi Alex,

Wish I could attend the event, but am in MA and cannot make it down to NY on that date. By chance will you be recording the talk? I just bought the book as this information will be very helpful.

Cheers,

Barbara

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065

2450 Beacon Street

Boston, MA 02467

Barbara.Elfman@waterworksmuseum.org

@MetroWaterworks

• 7.  RE: Creating a Positive Visitor Experience - History Museums

Posted 01-05-2017 01:18 PM

The book Alexander refers to is Richard Rabinowitz's just-published Curating America: Journeys through Storyscapes of the American Past (University of North Carolina Press). It is the road map you're looking for and a must-read for anyone in the museum field who wants to better understand how successful museums and historic sites work. It's a wonderful read.

Lisbeth Mark
    New York NY