Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 04-30-2021 04:11 PM
    How do I get rights to use images from special exhibitions in my blog and podcast? Aside from the host museum, are there other places I need to contact? I normally use open access images, so this is new to me!

Thanks
    --
    Karen Jackson
    Long Look Productions
    Podcasting | Verbal Descriptions
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-03-2021 07:50 AM
    Make sure your check with the Artist Rights Society

------------------------------
    Michele Wijegoonaratna
    American Federation of Arts
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-03-2021 08:40 AM

It sounds like you're asking a practical question of where to start. Host museums may have borrowed the artworks from private lenders or other museums. It is highly likely the owners of the art do not also own the reproduction rights. So you'll need to figure out who owns the reproduction rights. Please note that copyright and reproduction rights are different. The host museum may be able to give you a lead on this because they may have negotiated reproduction rights for themselves. Contacting the art's owners may also provide  you leads.  

Diane Gutenkauf
    dgutenkauf@hotmail.com
    Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 4.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-04-2021 08:43 AM
    Another site to use for researching who manages rights to artists' works is the WATCH file (Writers, Artists, and the Copyright Holders). https://norman.hrc.utexas.edu/watch/

You can also reach out to the Museum IP Listserv (MUSIP) https://groups.io/g/musip Its members work in the GLAM sector and often have contacts they can share.

John ffrench

John ffrench
    Director, Visual Resources
    Yale University Art Gallery
    New Haven CT

• 5.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-04-2021 12:08 PM
    Hello Karen,

Image rights have multiple layers.  If you are looking at using them as part of an exhibition review or other typical press-like way I would reach out to the museum's PR/Marketing team as they typically have images already pre-approved for use in those situations.  If it is a more general use like a specific talk about a subject that a museum may have appropriate artwork/objects for I would reach out to their images rights dept (if they are big enough) or again their PR/Marketing team as a first step.  Keep in mind images have 2 layers of IP rights.  The first is the image itself.  Whoever took the photograph has a level of right to that photograph (normally the museum if it is from their image library).  The second level is the artist or estate who created the work.  If the artwork/object is older than around 1920 (but check specifically) you are typically in the clear for artist/estate rights, but there are always exceptions (e.g. Mickey Mouse).  Occasionally there may be a third layer as well if the artist used someone else's work to make their own (e.g. a Warhol soup can you will likely have to clear with the museum or whomever created the photograph, the artist estate, and the Campbell soup company for the logo trademark).   Long story short - IP rights are complicated and if you have a legit reason for the use, the museum is likely to help you out (or at least steer you in the right direction) as they have likely had to clear these images a million times before for their own needs.

-Jared

Jared Crellin
    Account Director
    ListenUp Audio
    Atlanta GA

• 6.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-04-2021 12:42 PM
    Hi Jared

This is great information, thanks so much for spelling it all out.

To provide more context, the podcast is an art appreciation/art history show and the blog supplements its educational purpose. The images are used in each episode's post and appear as thumbnails in podcast apps. The exhibitions I'm hoping to feature are on Baroque and Renaissance art with works from European and American museums.

Don't know if this makes a difference but figured it would be helpful to have all the facts!

Thanks for taking the time to answer
    Karen
    --
    Karen Jackson
    Long Look Productions
    Podcasting | Verbal Descriptions

• 7.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-04-2021 12:50 PM
    Hello Karen,

You should be okay with the art that you are using in regards to artist's rights since it well before the cutoff date for IP rights (unless you bring in contemporary art as a conversation), but you still need to be a bit cautious of the actual image.  "Educational use" is a pretty broad term and is in the gray area when it comes to IP.  Writing a book is both for educational use and a for profit use in one.  With that said, many major museums have made their image libraries open for use, just read the clauses they put in on how it can be used for free vs needing acknowledgment vs what use requires fees.  A good round up on the issues and links to major museum image libraries that are open can be found https://creativelawcenter.com/museums-open-access-images/

Good luck.

-Jared

Jared Crellin
    Account Director
    ListenUp Audio
    Atlanta GA

• 8.  RE: Image rights for special exhibitions?

Posted 05-04-2021 01:13 PM
    Hi Jared

Interesting point re: educational use and thanks for the Creative Law Center link. Interesting background on how museums decided to use CC0! As I mentioned in my OP, I normally use open access images and am really glad to see more museums offering these.  

Thanks
    Karen

Karen Jackson
    Washington DC
    longlookproductions@gmail.com