Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teen Volunteers in Museums

Posted 09-11-2017 11:27 AM

My colleague and I are constantly benchmarking how other museums engage with local teens, and also engage them within their respective museums?

Myrna Hawbaker

Volunteer Program Coordinator

The Corning Museum of Glass

Corning, NY  14830

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Teen Volunteers in Museums

Posted 09-21-2017 01:01 PM
    About 12 years ago, when I worked with the San Diego Museum of Art, we had a grant-funded teen docent program in which we hired about 8-12 teens from underserved communities, trained them on a particular exhibit, and had them work in shifts in the afternoons and weekends, giving tours and spending non-tour time engaging with guests informally in the exhibit. There was a great deal of camaraderie amongst the students and great engagement with the public. The training consisted of Saturday morning sessions related to touring strategies and exhibition content, and I kept in regular contact with the teens through email, one-on-one conversations, events, and by reading their shared journal in which they wrote a brief recap of each of their shifts and any questions that might have come up in conversations with guests to which they needed answers. Unfortunately, the program was only extended once and then ended due to lack of funding, however it did morph into a semi-regular evening of activities and speakers for teens that I believe might still be ongoing at SDMA.

------------------------------
    Nicole Oder
    Archives Registrar
    Burbank CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Teen Volunteers in Museums

Posted 10-02-2017 12:48 PM
    ​At the Buffalo Museum of Science we have teen volunteers help with our overnight, birthday party and all day family events. For awhile,

Betsy Vazquez
    Public Programs and Volunteer Manager
    Buffalo Museum of Science
    Buffalo NY

• 4.  RE: Teen Volunteers in Museums

Posted 10-03-2017 10:35 AM
    The DMA has two teen volunteer programs: a Teen Docent/Ambassador program for students during the summer, and a Teen Advisory Council during the school year. Our Teen Ambassadors lead gallery experiences for families after a three day orientation in touring and questioning strategies, and our Teen Council plans events and programs for fellow teens and families. We recruit teens primarily from Dallas ISD through teachers, counselors, and community organizations, but have a good mix of students coming from suburban school districts as well.

Both groups spend a lot of time at the Museum, and their perspective helps us understand what we could be doing better for teens. They've given us valuable feedback about facilitating tours and activities for teens that we're presenting to our adult docents who give school tours. Their feedback also informs other Teen Programs at the Museum, especially our workshops and walk-in evening tours. They've also helped attendance in our programs - because we have a large group of teens that have a strong comfort level with the Museum, they bring a lot of their friends and classmates to us through word of mouth.

Both programs do require a lot of staff oversight (they are teenagers, after all!), but in my experience, setting up concrete expectations about communication and behavior, as well as being a regular, in-person presence while the teens are working, helps teens be more reliable and take on responsibility to make the program successful.

Jessica Thompson
    Manager of Teen Programs
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

• 5.  RE: Teen Volunteers in Museums

Posted 10-04-2017 09:08 AM
    We engage teens as volunteer Assistant Counselors during our summer camp. I also invite them to volunteer at our annual holiday event that features a gift shop of handmade items under $8 where children can "secretly" shop for their loved ones. In this scenario, the HS volunteers help them stick to their budget while shopping.

Regina Lynch
    Curator of Education
    Biggs Museum of American Art
    Dover DE