Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Low-tech audio tours

Posted 05-14-2020 01:37 PM
    Hi everyone - 

I work at a small university museum and we're looking to create a low-tech audio tour that visitors could access using their mobile devices. We were thinking of using QR codes that link to audio embedded in a website. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jessica Bocinski
    Registrar
    Chapman University Art Collections
    Orange CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Low-tech audio tours

Posted 05-14-2020 03:09 PM
    Hi,
    I like bar codes and QR Codes but one thing that you have to account for is the language.  If a code is created in English and the reading device (cellular telephone, laptop, etc.) is in Spanish or French or any other language, it will read it in its language.  Therefore, if you have, let's say, many visitors who use English and many visitors who use Spanish, you would need a sign in each language with the corresponding QR code created in that language.  Whoever does your signs should know about this.  It has to do with the character sets and the differences in the keyboard layouts.  For some reason, different languages share the same codes for different characters of different languages.  You have to try it to really see, as I did when I created bar codes and QR Codes in the past.
    Good luck...
    --

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Low-tech audio tours

Posted 05-15-2020 12:41 PM
    Just a note - QR codes can in fact detect the language of the user's mobile phone and route them to a specific page for their language. It takes a couple of extra steps but it minimizes the number of QR codes in a little cluster on the wall.

Here's the process involved:
    https://www.labnol.org/internet/qr-code-for-website/20171/

Meredith Peruzzi
    National Deaf Life Museum
    Gallaudet University
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Low-tech audio tours

Posted 05-15-2020 08:59 AM
    Hey Jessica,

I dont know about android devices, but I know Iphones have a QR reader built into the camera function.  Guests could just look a the QR with their camera and it sends them the website link.  Honestly, I'm completely for creating tours as podcasts and posting them on platforms.  Most people are acquainted with how they work and there is little to no cost to you.

Are you looking for examples of what others have done?

Conor

Conor Hepp
    Director of Visitor Services
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

• 5.  RE: Low-tech audio tours

Posted 05-15-2020 11:31 AM

Hi Jessica, 

In my experience, QR codes have worked pretty well once people know how to use them. I would also recommend setting up some kind of tracking system on them if you haven't already thought of that. To do that for free, I've wired QR Codes through a free bit.ly account that will track hits. It's not an elegant solution, but it's free. 

If you have the budget for it, Guide by Cell works pretty well and is mobile-based. It is easy to use for both the visitor and the creator. 

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Paquita Esterly
    Museology Graduate Program - University of Washington
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Low-tech audio tours

Posted 05-15-2020 12:28 PM
    Hey Jessica,

We've recently used https://www.youraudiotour.com/ for an audio tour at The Bakken Museum.  At the scale we're using it, it is free.  I found it easy to use, and we're using QR codes.

Joseph Imholte
    Vice President, Programs and Operations
    The Bakken Museum
    Minneapolis MN