Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Food & Beverage Contract

Posted 05-20-2021 11:43 AM

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their food & beverage contract? We are working on revamping our program and process and I'd love any recommendations, advice, and examples.

Thank you!

Sara M. Kennedy

Events Manager
    Crocker Art Museum
    skennedy@crockerart.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Food & Beverage Contract

Posted 05-21-2021 09:15 AM
    Sara, While I cannot share contracts as they are confidential I can share some information you want to sure to consider. We advise museums across the country on their F&B programs. Let me know if you'd like to set up a time to speak.

------------------------------
    Tracy Lawler
    President
    JGL Food Service Consultants
    Princeton NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Food & Beverage Contract

Posted 05-21-2021 09:46 AM
    Edited by Matthew White 05-21-2021 09:50 AM

Sara,

I am afraid I don't have anything specific to add to your question and if I am thread jacking, but I would like to add to your query to the list. 

After the year we have just come through, I have been thinking more and more about the issue of paid sick leave. Most museum professionals get some sort  of paid sick leave as part of their compensation and I think it has alters our perception of how prevalent this benefit is. But large numbers of workers in the US don't get paid sick leave, especially in the food service industry and especially for female workers and part time staff. Depending on the region and study, as low as one third of front line food service workers have access to paid sick leave. This means that as high as 2/3rds of front line food service workers do not get paid if they take a sick day.  One CDC study on the topic found that, "Twelve percent of workers said they worked when they were sick with vomiting or diarrhea on two or more shifts during the last year." To quote a worker in a local paper, "If we come to work sick, you get sick." This strikes me as problematic in "normal" times, let alone on the leeward side of a pandemic.

I think this has enormous implications for museums in terms of who works with our visitors and staff. Setting aside our part time docents, volunteers and contractual educators, all of whom rarely get paid sick leave, what about our floor-staff such as security, retail, and, of course, food service. When employed directly, we should offer paid sick leave, even to part time workers. Not only is it an ethical and equity issue, but also for the health of our other staff and our visitors. But what about contractors who work with our staff and visitors?

Should we require they offer a minimum level of paid sick leave as part of the contract? Do some museums already do this? If so what kind of language do you use?

Just food for thought and discussion, so to speak.

Matthew White

PS: Of course there is the issue of heath insurance. Do we want people handing food to our visitors who can't afford basic healthcare? But that's another topic.

Matthew White PhD
    Museum Liaison
    Capitol Museum Services
    Manassas VA

• 4.  RE: Food & Beverage Contract

Posted 05-21-2021 09:56 AM
    Hi Sara,

I Consulted with your museum when it opened, know it well and may be able to do what you request.

Email me your availability early next week with days and times, PDT, let's discuss your needs and go from there.

I am out all day today otherwise would talk today.

Look forward to your email.

Best regards,
    Art Manask

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588

• 5.  RE: Food & Beverage Contract

Posted 05-25-2021 10:14 AM
    I can't be of direct help, but this article on cafe staffing was shared in one of the virtual sessions at the AAM annual conference: https://www.aam-us.org/2021/02/08/building-equity-reparative-practice-at-the-valentine-museum/. Good luck!

Heather Linton
    Asheville NC