Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Project Management Software

• 1.  Project Management Software

Posted 06-07-2019 06:44 PM
    I see there was some input last year on the question of Project Management Software/

I have used Asana, and currently use Monday.com.  The big issue I have is that I don't find that it is not keeping me informed. I have to keep going to it and going through long lists.

I tried Clickup, but I find the pricing very high.  I could not get a deal for a small staff if I also wanted to add some board members.

What are you all using?  at AAM someone talked about Wrike, but they were not 100% happy.
    Thanks
    David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-10-2019 10:35 AM
    Highly recommend Basecamp, all the way. It's $99/month for a team of any size, and the ease of use makes it a really useful tool for those uncomfortable with using digital tools. 

I use the free Wrike option for my team, but only because I'm part of a University system and can't move us to Basecamp. Wrike is a little clunkier and nowhere near as intuitive, but for a team of 5 or less, it is free.

George Garner
    Interim Director
    Civil Rights Heritage Center - Indiana University, South Bend
    South Bend IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 02:15 PM
    I will look at Basecamp.  $99 might be a bit high..

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 4.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 06:21 PM
    I started playing around in Basecamp. I cannot see where it has a regular spreadsheet with columns.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 5.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 07:19 PM
    Basecamp looks fun.. but they just got back to me and said there are no spreadsheets or gantt functions.  I need the spreadsheets because I add columns for info for my board etc.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 6.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-10-2019 11:35 AM
    We like Wrike!  Using it for email for a distributed team.  Content creation through build and send.  Happy to connect you with the lead on this.

Melissa Felder
    Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA

• 7.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 02:19 PM
    I looked at Write once.. but wasn't sure how well it would work. I need to look at it again. I want something that keeps track of exhibits, fundraisers. etc.. and that is very good at keeping notified.. like through email and ical..

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 8.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-10-2019 02:59 PM
    We're exploring project management software options at our agency as well! I've used Basecamp and Asana in a previous life, but wasn't madly in love with either of them. Recently, our museum has transitioned over to Office 365 which comes with Microsoft Teams. While it seems like its strong suit is the chat feature, I've been poking around and it has a level of project management (task assignment, staging, etc.) features that integrate with the rest of the Office suite we're already using. I'm wondering if this would be worth trying since we already own it and it interfaces with all of the Microsoft programs we currently use. Has anyone tried using Microsoft Teams in a museum context? Successfully or painfully? Our Exhibits Curator is investigating Curia to see if it might be a good fit as well!

Nicole Inghilterra
    Capitol Curator
    Idaho State Historical Society
    Boise ID

• 9.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 08:57 AM
    +1 for MS Teams (we're begun using it for certain "teams" & projects here at the ROM).  In addition to the Slack-like capability, MS is converging a lot of other features into it, including Skype, OneDrive, Sharepoint, Calendar and a whole bunch of 3rd party integrations (JIRA, Trello etc).  To extend the project management functionality of Teams, I'd recommend hooking in MS Planner.

If your org is already on O365 then you already have Teams, for free, and is definitely worth evaluating.

Shyam

Shyam Oberoi
    Chief Digital Officer
    Royal Ontario Museum
    Toronto ON

• 10.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 02:19 PM
    I didn't know about Teams. I will take a look. For this office staff, it might be good as we all of Office 365. Maybe more difficult for board members.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 11.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 02-21-2020 03:54 PM
    Hi Nicole,

Did you end up using Curia? The museum I work at is looking at purchasing Curia, but we wanted to collect other institutions' thoughts on the product. 

Thank you for any help!

Christy Wallover
    Exhibit Developer
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington DC

• 12.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-10-2019 03:22 PM

Hi David,

I've found Smartsheet is very intuitive, especially for creating and sharing Gantt charts.  I don't use it for keeping people informed, except for that, so I'm curious to hear what other people say.

Cheers,

Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA
    javascript:AddSignatureVariable('barbara@puntconsulting.com');

• 13.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-10-2019 04:28 PM
    Good point, we do use Smartsheet for digital publishing and web content.  And Trello for IT project mgmt.  Happy to connect anyone to super users in our org for more detail.

Melissa Felder
    Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA

• 14.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 08:13 AM
    We love SmartSheet. Most of our senior staff has adapted to it. We have workspaces for each department so project access where appropriate is excellent. We've found the reminder tool to be very helpful as well as the comments in communication for tasks and updates. I can't say enough!

Julie Arrison-Bishop
    Special Projects Manger
    The House of the Seven Gables
    Salem, Mass.

• 15.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 02:21 PM
    Our college uses Smartsheet.  I was hoping to just get a license from them, but they didn't have extras.  It looks like an excel sheet.. so wondered how it would work for me..

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 16.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 08:15 PM
    Hi David,

There is a Gantt view option.  Feel free to email me directly or look at their Help page and you can see what I'm talking about.  It's the easiest Gantt chart I've ever used, if that's a function that's important to you.

Cheers,
    Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA
    javascript:AddSignatureVariable('barbara@puntconsulting.com');

• 17.  RE: Project Management Software

Posted 06-11-2019 08:12 AM
    I couldn't live without Smartsheet. I am the lead on marketing/PR, public programs, engagement, and our new interpretive plan. This keeps each of these areas focused and organized!

Julie Arrison-Bishop
    Special Projects Manger
    The House of the Seven Gables
    Salem, Mass.