Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 11-28-2018 04:17 PM
    Dear Colleagues,
    I am planning on piloting the use of either Microsoft Translator or Google Translate to translate interpretive content at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens using iPads or other mobile devices with built in cameras. These technologies have become fairly accurate and  from internal testing seem to be a very viable way of increasing language access at our institution that has a very international constituency.

After some testing I have found that the Google App allows one download many languages directly to the device and this allows for instant screen translation without having to press any other options or go through any other steps. This is an ideal interface removing most barriers to get to the desired translation.

I want to know if anyone else has experimented with using these Apps in a museum setting and if so would you be willing to share what the experience was like. I am interested in the performance of the App, the ease of interface for the user, but also logistics such is how you communicated to visitors to use the App for translation, what directions or signage you might have employed, what devices you used, whether you recommended the use of personal mobile devices, etc.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 11-29-2018 10:45 AM
    As someone who works in a bilingual environment, I would caution against using machine translation as your primary form of providing access in multiple languages. Although it is largely accurate in some cases, it cannot handle the nuance of most languages, and some languages (particularly non-European languages and all signed languages) are virtually incomprehensible when machine translated.

Given the international audience, I would suggest producing short brochures in a number of languages (whichever you find are the most requested by your visitors), using a professional translation service. Give a brief overview of the museum and its exhibit areas, a map, and so forth. If you want to include information on the brochure about using machine translation camera apps to read the entire script, go for it, but make sure you put a disclaimer that it may not be accurate!

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 11-30-2018 11:13 AM

Screen reader apps for smart phones are an amazingly wonderful tool for a wide range of visitors; I discussed their use in a brief blog on increasing accessibility for visitors who are visually impaired (see link below).    Rather than do the translation yourself (if I correctly understood your post), all you really need to do is encourage visitors to use their own smart phones (with earphones, of course!).   This could include signage that identifies the free apps and - absolutely most important - making sure your guards/gallery attendants know that it is okay for visitors to use their phones for this purpose and not automatically prevent them from "taking pictures" in the museum.

If you'd like to discuss how extremely well this works from the visitors' perspective, feel free to contact me off-list.

https://aaslh.org/increasing-accessibility-for-visitors-who-are-visually-impaired-simple-solutions-for-small-museums/

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 4.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 11-30-2018 01:39 PM
    Hello,

As bilingual person, and occasional translator, if you decide to go the route where you provide materials in various languages, then I completely concur with Meredith Peruzzi's suggestion to use a professional translation service. Online translators for many languages have improved quite a bit in the past few years, but they still make plenty of mistakes (some are just funny, others make you wrinkle your brow and wonder what was really intended). It's one thing if someone uses their own phone to access online translation services--they'll probably understand that the text they're getting from their phone isn't 100% accurate. If your institution provides it though, people will have the expectation that it be correct. If there are errors in the translation, they'll notice and wonder why you didn't get a pro translator to read it over first. If that's just not possible, then be sure you have accurately worded signage and text communicating how to use the app you choose (again, worth using a translation service for this), and the disclaimers that translated text may not be completely accurate.

Best,
    Jennifer

Jennifer Day
    Registrar
    Indian Arts Research Center at the School for Advanced Research
    Santa Fe NM

• 5.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 12-03-2018 07:51 AM
    Mark, .As I write this I am currently in the Louvre using Google translate.... there's a lot to be desired.  I think an audio device with translation will, for the near future, far supercede any online capability.

Myron Baer
    US Director
    Orpheo USA

Jason Grassi
    Operations
    Orpheo
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 12-03-2018 10:55 AM
    Hi Mark,

I run a boutique translation agency that specializes in translation for museums and other cultural institutions, and I wanted to mention that, in addition to being of a lower quality, machine translation can convey a degree of non-professionalism.

Also, consider the message that you send by using Google Translate: it acknowledges an awareness that non-English-speaking visitors are coming to your museum, but by not investing in a professional service (as you invest in drafting, revising, and publishing content for English speakers), it implies that those audiences are a lower priority than English-speakers.

Getting lots of things translated into lots of languages can be expensive, and I think Meredith's suggestion of a short brochure in several languages is a good one. It's a more economical and professional way of improving the experience of visitors who don't speak English, and a 500-word brochure should cost you less than $100 per language.

Besides myself and my company, there are a lot of qualified translators and translation agencies out there whose main clientele are museums (I believe there are a few who occasionally post on this forum). Feel free to reach out on- or off-list if you have any questions. My email is info@kgdtranslation.com.

All the best,
    Kevin

Kevin Gerry Dunn
    Translator

www.kgdtranslation.com
    info@kgdtranslation.com
    (+1) (520) 477-7507

• 7.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 12-04-2018 11:32 AM

Dear Mark,

I concur with others who are advising you to be cautious regarding the use of translating apps. As a bilingual person and professional translator, I can tell you that no app will ever compare to human translation. Also, having an app translating for international visitors may give the impression that your institution values non-English speakers less than English speakers. As a traveler visiting museums in other countries where none of the languages I speak is offered, I appreciate more when institutions develop brochures, maps or other materials, professionally translated than low-quality translations.

Elizabeth Antonellis
    Bilingual Museum Educator
    HARVARD MUSEUMS OF SCIENCE & CULTURE
    Peabody Museum of Archeology & Ethnology

• 8.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 12-05-2018 10:46 AM
    The National Hispanic Cultural Center in
     Albuquerque NM, has long been using bilingual labels. You might want to discuss your needs with the Museum Director,Tey Nun and Curator Jadira Gurule, and Director of our History and Literary Arts programs Valerie Martinez.

Kenneth Fenner JD
    DOCENT
    Albuquerque NM

• 9.  RE: Using Google or Mircrosoft translator photo app to translate interpretive content

Posted 12-05-2018 10:46 AM
    The National Hispanic Cultural Center in
     Albuquerque NM, has long been using bilingual labels. You might want to discuss your needs with the Museum Director,Tey Nun and Curator Jadira Gurule, and Director of our History and Literary Arts programs Valerie Martinez.

Kenneth Fenner JD
    DOCENT
    Albuquerque NM