Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Collections Software

• 1.  Collections Software

Posted 03-11-2019 10:42 AM

Good Morning All,
    I'm starting to research new databases as part of me starting my position here with the Biggs Museum of American Art. To preface this, our collection has approximately 3,500 objects ranging from prints/drawings to small scale sculptures to furniture. We also have about 3,500 books that are catalogued with the Library of Congress numbering system that isn't in our database and appears to be a Herculean task to try to configure an Excel doc to import into our database. It may be possible to move into the archives world too as we have a few collections by living artists that could very well want to donate everything, including materials for an archive.

With this being said, we are currently using PastPerfect 5 without the web/online and barcode modules. I don't mind PastPerfect, especially when it comes to having the Library and Archives modules built in, but I'd rather get something that fits the mannerisms of our team, our collection and general museum needs (e.g. web publishing), etc. I have been looking at TMS but am unable to remember from previous employers on if it allows for separation of 3 umbrella collections (museum collection, archive collection, and library collection). With this being said, I have a few questions before contacting the sales team at Gallery Systems (and feel free to add anything relevant too!):

- Are there any recurring costs to having the web based TMS? e.g. the cloud based servers.
    - Are we able to have our own cloud based server for the web based TMS?
    - Are we able to have that collection separation in TMS?
    - Are we able to tie objects back to donors or lenders without having to skip over the accession number as seen in PastPerfect 5?
    - Is there a database that's more specific to art museums that has the library and archives modules/sections that I'm missing?

I'm definitely open to different collections databases outside of TMS and PastPerfect. I've used Rediscovery Proficio and it wasn't terrible but I didn't love it. I'd rather go with something made by a company that can help with the technical aspects when needed than having to create something from scratch that I'd have to manage.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    David Clapp
    Registrar/Collections Manger, Biggs Museum of American Art
    dclapp@biggsmuseum.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-12-2019 10:59 AM
    Hi David:

Shortly, AASLH will be publishing a Technical Leaflet that serves as a guide to selecting a new Collection Management System. Appended to the publication is a list of most CMS providers and the technical specifications for each software package.  In the interim, you may want to check out Canadian Heritage Information Network's (CHIN) CMS provider profiles: Collections management systems - Canada.ca

Erin

Erin Richardson PhD
    Principal
    Erin Richardson Consulting
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-13-2019 09:48 AM
    Ooooh this is wonderful news! Would you be so kind as to publish it here when it is completed?

Many thanks!

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-14-2019 06:55 AM
    David, 

If you're not finding the right system to serve all 3, have a conversation with Zetcom about their MuseumPlus system. They allow customization if you need special fields or functionality. And they have a variety of modules to serve a variety of collection needs from the object records to multimedia management to condition reporting.

Virginia Seay 
    Registrar of Corporate Art
    Fidelity Investments

Virginia Seay
    Associate Registrar
    Fidelity Investments
    Boston MA

• 5.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-14-2019 09:25 AM
    Thanks for this, Virginia. I completely forgot about this system. It does look very appealing. Of hand, do you know if we can almost seamlessly and effortlessly add the database to our website and select which information sets we can publish onto the website?

Thanks!
    David Clapp
    dclapp@biggsmuseum.org

David Clapp
    Registrar/Collections Manager
    Biggs Museum of American Art
    Dover, Delaware

• 6.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-14-2019 09:47 AM
    I unfortunately wasn't a part of our data transfer, but we were using another system and they transferred that info so I would imagine a spreadsheet could work too!
    Virginia

Virginia Seay
    Registrar
    Fidelity Investments
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-14-2019 10:15 AM
    Interesting. Does the database have the MuseumPlus system have the capability of posting objects online similarly to PastPerfect or TMS? We currently don't have barcoding capabilities or the online module for PastPerfect to allow for streamlined object movement and posting the collection (with restricted information) to our website. I'm essentially trying to reduce the hurdles the staff (e.g. marketing, curatorial, and registration) have to jump over to achieve the internal goals.

David Clapp
    dclapp@biggsmuseum.org

David Clapp
    Dover, Delaware

• 8.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 03-15-2019 04:38 PM
    Edited by Virginia Seay 03-15-2019 04:38 PM
    So it's a special feature, but the system can have barcode scanning built in. As a private collection, we don't publish anything direct from our database even to internal audiences at this time. However, if memory serves, Zetcom indicated that we could indeed incorporate that functionality in the future. So it must be a possibility!

Virginia Seay
    Registrar
    Fidelity Investments
    Boston MA

• 9.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 04-19-2019 05:20 PM
    Hello All;
    I work at a small museum that is part of a two-year college. Although the museum is small, we have a pretty impressive collection of over 5,000 artifacts, including a historically and ethnographically important collection of local Pomo basketry.

I have been in my position for only two years, having been transferred (Luckily! Happily!) from a completely different department at the college.  This lays out my lack of knowledge about collection management systems.

Our collections database is in Filemaker Pro. I know that that this is an obsolete platform. I am curious, in fact, how many other museums use Filemaker Pro for their CMS. Now we are coming to a head, because the administration of the college would like to, in the next 6 months or so, discontinue the support of this software as a cost savings measure. The I.T. department has suggested that they will be migrating our database over to Microsoft Access.  I am sure whoever is reading this might be cringing right about now!

Our museum has only one full time staff member (me), plus a part time Director and a handful of student employees and volunteers, and a very small budget. We have not had to pay for licensing of software, but I do not want to be forced from one bad platform (Filemaker Pro) to a database that may not be suitable for a collections management system. 

I am reading the responses in this thread with interest.  I have several questions:

1. Are any readers here familiar with a museum using Microsoft Access database as a Collections Management System?
    2. If Microsoft Access is totally wrong for a museum database, what can we expect to pay for a suitable, more user friendly CMS?
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated.  I will be looking into some of the systems mentioned in this thread.
    With appreciation

Rachel Minor
    Supervisor/Curator
    Jesse Peter Museum - Santa Rosa Junior College
    Santa Rosa CA

• 10.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 04-22-2019 03:06 PM
    Hi Rachel,

For what it's worth, we use Filemaker Pro as both our CMS and exhibition management system at SFO Museum, and we love it. We have a constantly growing collection, currently around 140,000 objects across museum, library, and archives, and manage over forty annual exhibitions with it. We also use it to track our constituents; airlines, airports, and aircraft associated with collection objects; and all of our purchasing. The initial backbone for the database was designed by a contractor, around ten years ago. Since then, we've probably doubled the number of associated tables to over 80. Key benefits for us are that it's cost-efficient (a three-year site license for 60 users just under $10,000, total) and that as long as we have people on staff who are able (me and one other) or at least interested (three or four others) in databases, we can make virtually any addition or modification in-house. The system lets us link unlimited images, sound and video files, and documents, and we generate all of our loan and collection intake forms from it. It's particularly nice that we're able to have a wide variety of object fields, which allow us to more accurately input data specific to libraries and archives, which can differ from data needs of museum objects. As for building additional tables, forms, and scripts, it's not that hard - I absolutely do not have a background in technology, but was able to teach myself by looking at what the contractor had done, figuring out how it worked, and then repeating/revising those connections and scripts. Plus, Filemaker has a large system of user-groups and solid online reference resources that helped to fill in my knowledge gaps in other development projects.

So, while Filemaker would never make the list of sexy CMS platforms, it's an excellent and inexpensive workhorse that's relatively easy to learn.

Good luck with your research and probable migration!

Megan

Megan Callan
    Curator in Charge of Museum Affairs
    SFO Museum
    San Francisco CA
    megan.callan@flysfo.com

• 11.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 04-23-2019 08:49 AM
    Hi Rachel,
    My employer and I are in a similar boat in regards to the number of objects in the collection. I never liked FileMaker Pro. The exhibition manager for an external temporary exhibition loves Microsoft Access but I don't have enough experience with it and configuring it to the specific needs of a 5,000 to 10,000 object collection. I definitely don't mind PastPerfect version 5 that we have and should be a one time payment for the usage compared to licensing and other monthly/recurring fees. I feel like its intuitive for someone who has collection database experience though I find a few small things annoying, e.g. the History, Geology, etc. sections that we'll never use but that I can "lock out" for specific users or seeing that consistency of info can be hard if multiple people are editing records (e.g. there's no drop down menus to help make it more efficient for things like Locations where the person moving an object could put their name, initials, or title in it with no consistency on how to do it). I found that I liked eMuseum by GallerySystems (who make TMS), which is web based, seems a lot more intuitive than TMS but has a lot of the benefits of TMS, and does help with efficiency of the collections/curatorial team as a whole (e.g. if you're out cataloguing a donation on-site). I never got to the cost but there are recurring costs to be considered.

David Clapp
    Dover, Delaware

• 12.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 04-25-2019 11:48 AM
    If you want more information on Filemaker Pro in the collection management environment, you might want to talk to Colibri Solutions: https://www.colibrisolutions.com/
    They built the database (in Filemaker Pro) for the New Yorker cartoon library, and have recently worked with a private art collection and the Hudson Vallery Center for Contemporary Art. Filemaker Pro has some advantages over MS Access-there are a host of reviews and comparisons online, enough to keep you going down rabbit holes for some time. And Colibri has been around for years, and are good to work with. James Wesolowski at Colibri is the man to talk to: james@colibrisolutions.com

Edward Lefkowicz
    Brooklyn NY

• 13.  RE: Collections Software

Posted 04-26-2019 12:01 PM
    I'm not familiar with what data you are storing, but I've worked many years in database management and programming. 

The problem with Access and Filemaker is, if you decide to go that route, you've just become a programmer.  They tell you how easy they are to use, and in the modern point and click world we live in, they are right.  But are they easy to use well?  

There's 3 main parts of a system like this to be considered:

Database structure - How to store the data.
    User interface - Entering the data.
    Query and reporting - Getting the data out.

Get any one of these wrong, and you've got headaches.

I could give you endless examples of bad programming, but I'd like to share one most people never consider, but comes up quite a bit.

Let's say we're tracking admissions.  We have a Fee table with 3 entries, Child, Adult, Senior, each with a different price.  Each day you enter the number of admissions sold at each price, and at the end of the month, you run a report that tells you the number of admissions sold in each category and the total amount taken in.  Simple enough.

The board gets together and decides to go up on the Adult ticket price, so you go in change the amount.  But when you run the report for any previous month, your numbers are all wrong because the system is using the new price.  

How to fix?  Put effective dates on each price in the Fee table, add a new record with the new price and effective dates, and have the query look up the correct fee for the dates the admissions were sold.

The world of programming is full of these types of pitfalls. So for those that want to do-it-yourself, be prepared for lots of testing, error checking, and verification.  The computer does exactly what you tell it to, never what you want it to.

Rachel, you may want to follow David's lead when he'd "rather go with something made by a company that can help with the technical aspects when needed than having to create something from scratch that I'd have to manage."

Best of luck to you both, no matter what you decide.

Bill Browne
    Westlake LA