Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help needed: Research on English to Spanish translation in US museums

Posted 03-17-2021 06:10 AM

Hi all!

I hope this message finds you all well. I'm a professor at the Translation Department at Málaga University, Spain. I am presently conducting a research on English-Spanish translation of texts from US museums and was wondering whether your institution could contribute by sending me texts in English and their translation into Spanish, so that I can build a dataset as big as possible to analyze their main characteristics. I have texts so far from more than 40 museums all over the US (you can see the results of a previous research in this paper), but if I could get more texts that would be of great help. My aim is to gather as many texts as possible, and any text type would work: maps, brochures, teaching material, transcripts, blog posts, catalogs, etc.

I would really appreciate if you want to collaborate with this project. If you have any translated texts, please contact me at leiva@uma.es.

Thank you for your attention and time and have a great day,

Jorge

------------------------------
    Jorge Leiva Rojo PhD
    Senior Professor
    Málaga
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Help needed: Research on English to Spanish translation in US museums

Posted 03-18-2021 10:26 AM
    Great idea!
    The Fitchburg Art Museum in Fitchburg Massachusetts has fully bilingual signage and printed materials. Connect with Nick Capasso, the director.

My gallery is moving in that direction, however because of covid, the easiest documentation to share with you is this: https://www.404festival.com/usa2019/

Ellen Wetmore
    Professor

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Help needed: Research on English to Spanish translation in US museums

Posted 03-24-2021 08:35 AM
    Dear Ellen, thank you for letting me know about The Fitchburg Art Museum, I will contact the director right away. One last question, can you please tell me what the name of your gallery is? Thank you for sharing with me the website of the festival, I will definitely use if for my paper!
    Best wishes,
    Jorge

Jorge Leiva Rojo PhD
    Senior Professor
    Málaga