Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Corporate Membership Program

Posted 07-13-2018 12:03 PM
    My museum has been looking into launching a corporate membership program this fall. Our highest level of membership for individuals is $1,500+ annually. For the corporate membership, I would like to start the levels at $2,500 annually. Corporate members will be able to attend our top donor events, give guest passes to the museum to their clients and employees, and get a discount on using our space for events. They will also receive some publicity benefits in return (TBD). 

I would love to hear from people whose museums have corporate membership programs. What has been successful and not successful? What are the levels and benefits? How did you get your corporate members? Any advice and information would be really helpful!

Thank you,

Lauren

------------------------------
    Lauren Nichols
    Development Program Manager
    Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art - University of Oregon
    Eugene OR
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Corporate Membership Program

Posted 07-16-2018 10:41 AM
    Working on similar ideas.  Depends on your market and whether corporate members are even interested in benefits foe employees.  A DRAFT plan I have been working on has corporate memberships from $500 to $10000.  These are based on number of employees.  Admittedly, a $500 membership gets you very little, but works for mom and pop types of businesses.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Corporate Membership Program

Posted 07-17-2018 08:34 AM
    We have a Business Partner program that sounds similar to the program your working on. It's getting a revamp this upcoming year, but our levels range from $200 (this level is for companies with less than 10 employees) to $10,000+. For companies whose membership levels are $500+, our benefits are
    • Invitations to events including exhibition previews and evening receptions
    • Ability to purchase bulk discounted admission passes
    • Hosting meetings and private events in our unique spaces
    • Recognition in the Annual Report
    • Recognition on the digital donor wall in the Great Hall
    • Listing on the Business Partners web-page with direct link to company site
    • Winslow Homer Studio Tour ticket discount
    • Member Double Discount Days in the Store
    • Opportunity to partner on special programs that engage diverse audiences 
    • Advance notice of programs
    • Subscription to the quarterly magazine
    To complement this membership program, we also have corporate and media sponsorship opportunities for companies to support a specific program, which may be more appealing to companies with specific donation requirements or end-results.

Marisa Higgins
    External Affairs Assistant
    Portland Museum of Art
    Portland ME

• 4.  RE: Corporate Membership Program

Posted 07-17-2018 02:43 PM
    I'm also in the planning phases, and hoping to launch this fall. The plans and fees mentioned here are similar to what I found in researching a handful of New England historic houses. $1000 was generally the corporate rate, and benefits similar to those already mentioned. Though still a draft, I'm considering a $1000 level, no matter what the size corporation, with benefits to include: set number of free passes for employees/guests (perhaps 25  - 40), free admission on "corporate member days" for all employees (I really liked that idea), one free event rental (limited to 2 hours, weekdays, and 40 people or fewer), and member discounts on all programs. We don't have huge exposure, so the value statement is about supporting local culture and preservation as well as employee quality of life - not as much "promoting the corporation" which can be another benefit of  corp. membership.  I'm playing with the idea of a non-profit corporate member, but just not sure if other museums and nonprofits would use it - if anyone has experience with that, I'm interested to know how it was done and if it was worth while.

Dawn Salerno
    Executive Director
    Rotch-Jones-Duff House and Garden Museum
    New Bedford MA