Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibition Publications

Posted 03-10-2022 11:49 AM
    Hello,

I'm looking for resources or articles on creating museum publications. This would be the kind of publication such as a book to go along with an exhibition, full of essays by contributors and information/research about the exhibit topic, with images of objects. This is more involved than a regular catalogue. When I try to search this topic, I only get links for existing publications and not resources for how to go about making one.

I am a Museum Studies student and am curious to learn more about how museums plan their publications when they decide to create one for an exhibition.

Thank you for any leads!

------------------------------
    Sara Johnson
    Andrew W. Mellon Foundation/Loo Family Intern, European & American Art
    Spencer Museum of Art - University of Kansas
    Lawrence KS
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibition Publications

Posted 03-11-2022 08:40 AM
    We recommend webflow: https://webflow.com/magazine-websites
    Joy Wingren
    Iconic Moments- Only global NFT strategic partner, developer and marketplace dedicated entirely to cultural institutions
    joy.wingren@iconicmoments.co

Joy Wingren
    Iconic Moments Business Development
    773-852-1012 cell
    www.iconicmoments.co
    THE FIRST STRATEGIC NFT GLOBAL PARTNER FOR CULTURAL MUSEUM AND HOF INSTITUTIONS.
    History Gets A Tech Upgrade With New NFT Marketplace For Museums - Hypepotamus

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibition Publications

Posted 03-11-2022 12:44 PM
    Hi Sara,

We work a lot with Pomegranate Press for our publications. Great folks. AWFUL website in my opinion, but great people and a great end product.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org

• 4.  RE: Exhibition Publications

Posted 03-11-2022 02:05 PM
    Thank you Matthew and also Joy for your recommendations!

I should clarify, I'm looking for information on how museums decide internally to publish a book to go along their exhibitions, and how they plan things like budget, book dimensions, content, etc.

Sara Johnson
    Andrew W. Mellon Foundation/Loo Family Intern, European & American Art
    Spencer Museum of Art - University of Kansas
    Lawrence KS