Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-05-2021 10:52 AM
    Greetings,
    I am looking for recommendations for a free-standing display system to be used for temporary, small exhibits at a historic house.  ProPanels is the option I have seen online.
    I am hoping to find fa system for 2 to 4 panels that would be easy to store and set-up, allow flexibility in exhibiting paintings and other framed artworks, and could work in a historic house setting.  Cost, unsurprisingly, is a consideration too!  Please reply if you have any experience or suggestions. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Anne Ocone
    Museum Coordinator
    The Percy Grainger House
    7 Cromwell Place
    White Plains, NY 10601
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 09:25 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Anne,

We actually use plain hollow-core doors found at any hardware big-box store for very little money.  We have them hinged together with a piano hinge.  You can paint them, hang things on them, repair the holes, etc.  For the sake of stability we typically use three doors together to form a triangle of sorts then hook it together at the top.  We installed screw-in chair feet on the bottom to limit scuffing of floors.  They have worked pretty well for us.  See the attached image (provided that I uploaded it correctly).  Good luck.

Cheers,
    Jerry

Jerry Foust PhD
    Historic Site Director
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 03:34 PM
    Thanks. That looks like it could work for us!
    Anne

Anne Ocone

• 4.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 11:32 AM
    Edited by Kathy Kyle 01-06-2021 11:46 AM
    Hi - we manufacture free standing portable gallery/museum walls. We work with a lot of historical museums since they're often in a historical building or former historical home. As far as costs go, it's true portable walls do cost a little more to build than permanent construction, but if you consider tear-out costs they'll save you money literally the first time you move them. You can screw into them, drive nails into them, hang art (even heavier work), light shelving, and patch/repaint them with house paint - so the can be used very much like real walls.

I'm not sure about other exhibit manufacturers, but one way we help customers on smaller budgets save, is to take advantage of "scratch and dent" sales. We sell damaged & repaired walls, or walls that don't pass our internal QC for much less. Several museums we've worked with have found that's a helpful way to save money.

Kathy Kyle
    Sales, Pareti Mobile Walls
    Belle Plaine, Iowa

Dowels used as pegs to hold Nike sculptures made of Legos.

• 5.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 03:35 PM
    Thanks Kathy.  I'll take a look!
    Anne

Anne Ocone

• 6.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 11:51 AM
    Hi Anne,

I completely understand the display challenges in a historic house setting.  I previously managed the Rosson House Museum in Phoenix and had the same dilemma!  For that very reason, I started a traveling exhibit company about 18 months ago that specializes in small, free-standing exhibits.  We have both wall-type templates and well as small cube exhibits, and all are adaptable to changing themes and graphics.  They are very reasonably priced, and you can either get a do-it-yourself "kit" or Museum Pros can custom design for you.  Please let me know if you'd like more details.  It would be fun to work together! 

Michelle Reid
    Museum Services Director
    Museum Pros, LLC
    Chandler, AZ

• 7.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 03:36 PM
    Thanks Michelle!

Anne Ocone

• 8.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 01:22 PM
    You might also want to post this question on the new Small Museums Network listserv.   You can join by sending an email to smallbigmuseums@gmail.com.">smallbigmuseums@gmail.com.

Stay safe,

janice

--
    Janice Klein
    EightSixSix Consulting
    SMAC-AAM Board Member

• 9.  RE: Temporary panel display system: Historic House

Posted 01-06-2021 03:38 PM
    Thank you Janice!

Anne Ocone