Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Access Advisory Group- Advice Needed (Graduate Student)

Posted 11-24-2020 02:36 PM
    Hi all,

I am a Museology graduate student at the University of Washington and I am researching the development and maintenance of Access Advisory Groups/Committees within museums. Typically these groups consists of Deaf individuals and/or people with disabilities, and disability experts in the local community that collectively and collaboratively advise the museum on a variety of topics related to accessibility and inclusion.

I've reached out to several museums who run committees but I'm still looking for resources and research around forming and maintaining these groups.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Marie Baeta
    Museology Graduate Program - University of Washington
    Seattle WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Access Advisory Group- Advice Needed (Graduate Student)

Posted 11-25-2020 09:43 AM
    Marie,

Have a look at the Massachusetts Cultural Council's UP (Universal Participation Initiative) program. You'll find a list of cultural organizations (including, but not limited to, museums) that have done projects guided by advisory groups. II'm guessing that within MCC or the participating organizations, you'll find folks who could offer ideas or resources/tools.

Best of luck with your project.

Betsy Loring
    Worcester MA
    betsy@exploringexhibits.com(978) 618-9673

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more