Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

• 1.  Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-13-2017 03:29 PM
    Hello, I'm new on the forum. I'm wondering if there is a good way to collaborate with national museums for science event with the actor Alan Alda. It's called the Flame Challenge. We challenge scientists to submit answers to simple questions such as: what is energy, what's a flame? And 11 year olds get to be the judges! Any thoughts on potential collaborators?Thanks! The Flame Challenge
    Alda Kavli Online Learning Center remove preview
    The Flame Challenge
    The Flame Challenge is an international competition in which scientists answer a technical question in a clear and entertaining way, specifically geared toward an audience of 11-year-olds. Launched in 2012, The Flame Challenge began with Alan Alda's own childhood query, "What is a flame?"
    View this on Alda Kavli Online Learning Center >

------------------------------
    Chris Bill

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-14-2017 07:29 AM
    We would be interested!  Alan Alda has come to the National Institutes of Health many times to help our scientists learn to explain their research.  Please email me off-list at lyonsm@od.nih.gov

Michele Lyons
    Curator
    Stetten Museum of Medical Research NIH
    Bethesda MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-14-2017 11:02 AM
    Thanks Michele, We'll be in touch!

Chris Bill
    Communications
    Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science
    Stony Brook University

• 4.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-14-2017 10:01 AM
    his sounds like a very interesting public communication forum. We would be interested in participation.

James Walther
    Executive Director
    National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
    Albuquerque NM

• 5.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-14-2017 11:04 AM
    Thanks James, Yes he's got a very honest and funny way of getting people to relate to each other. We'll be in touch!

Chris Bill
    Communications
    Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science
    Stony Brook University

• 6.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-14-2017 03:48 PM

I would also be interested... Thank you!

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065 ext 13

2450 Beacon Street

Boston, MA 02467

Barbara.Elfman@waterworksmuseum.org

@MetroWaterworks

• 7.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-15-2017 08:55 AM
    Hi--
    Any interest in history museums that touch on science and science concepts - such as geology at a site commemorating the first successful oil well or forest ecology at a museum about the history of the lumber industry? Or the home of an eminent 18th-century chemist and possibly the first scientific lab in the US?

Amy Killpatrick Fox
    Museum Educator
    Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
    Harrisburg PA

• 8.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-15-2017 01:06 PM
    Hi Chris,

How about an automotive museum?  We facilitate inquiry based learning and the world of the automobile is full of science questions to ponder.  I look forward to learning more about ways to collaborate.

Best,

Debbie

Debbie Kray
    Education Manager
    LeMay America's Car Museum
    Tacoma WA

• 9.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-15-2017 03:36 PM
    Edited by Jayatri Das 06-15-2017 03:38 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm at The Franklin Institute science museum in Philadelphia. I'd be interested in learning more about how science museums might collaborate with you around the Flame Challenge. Thanks!

Jayatri (contact)

Jayatri Das PhD
    Chief Bioscientist
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-16-2017 09:29 AM
    ​Hi Chris. I work at the National Museum of Health and Medicine in Silver Spring, Md. I would be interested in learning more about how we might participate in the Flame Challenge or other programs.

Thank you!
    Andrea

Andrea Schierkolk
    Public Programs Manager
    National Museum of Health and Medicine
    Silver Spring MD
    andrea.k.schierkolk.civ@mail.mil
    http://www.medicalmuseum.mil

• 11.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-16-2017 10:51 AM
    ​Hello, Chris-- We were excited to learn about the Flame Challenge!  Naper Settlement (www.napersettlement.org), our outdoor history museum near Chicago, would love to participate in this.  Thanks for getting the message out to museums--we look forward to hearing more about it!

Donna Sack
    Vice President, Community Engagement and Audience
    Naper Settlement
    Naperville IL

• 12.  RE: Alan Alda Center: Flame Challenge

Posted 06-16-2017 11:33 AM
    Hi Chris,
    I would love to talk with you about the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) can help you connect with science centers and museums across the globe. Please feel free to contact me directly at whancock@astc.org.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Best,
    Wendy

http://www.astc.org/about-astc/

The Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) is a global organization providing collective voice, professional support, and programming opportunities for science centers, museums, and related institutions, whose innovative approaches to science learning inspire people of all ages about the wonders and the meaning of science in their lives. Through strategic alliances and global partnerships, ASTC strives to increase awareness of the valuable contributions its members make to their communities and the field of informal STEM learning.

Founded in 1973, ASTC now represents over 600 members in nearly 50 countries, including not only science centers and museums, but also nature centers, aquariums, planetariums, zoos, botanical gardens, and natural history and children's museums, as well as companies, consultants, and other organizations that share an interest in informal science education.

Wendy Hancock
    Association of Science-Technology Centers
    Washington DC