Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum shop studies on postcard sales

Posted 06-13-2019 11:28 AM
    Greetings! We’re considering a custom booklet of postcards as merchandise, and was wondering if there was any data on sales potential. And if no data or studies would love anecdotal thoughts. Thank you!
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum shop studies on postcard sales

Posted 06-13-2019 12:43 PM

Hi, Jody!

My data is specific to my museum, but postcards have been consistently my second highest-selling item in my store for many years--second to the catalog of the museum's collection. It seems such a small amount of money, but it adds up very quickly. 
    We sell both booklets of postcards and individual postcards. If it fits your museum and collection, I recommend individual cards as well, because many museum visitors think they'll just browse the shop without buying, but when they find a postcard they love, that converts them from "browser" to "buyer", and then they add on items from there--maybe a few more postcards, or maybe they'll start reevaluating the books. The postcards are what bring people in.

Good luck,

Julie 

------------------------------
    Julie Steiner
    Director of Retail Operations
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more