Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Attracting Volunteers

Posted 06-21-2017 06:25 PM
    I am on the Board for Japanese Cultural Center and Garden and helping come up with new ways to attract volunteers. The Garden's docents numbers are quickly dwindling and the current volunteers are unable to meet the demands of the positions because of age. We would like to bring a new pool of volunteers into the fold over the next couple of months. Currently flyers are put out at the admissions desk and we have posting on VolunteerMatch.com. Both tactics are producing small results.
    I would be interested in hearing how other small museums attract new volunteers. 
    Thank you ahead of time for your expertise.
    Sincerely,
    Michael Fritzen
    Tillman Japanese Garden
    Advisory Board Member
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Attracting Volunteers

Posted 06-22-2017 09:15 AM

Michael,

I am the Manager of Volunteer Services for what would be considered a big museum, located in a big city (Philadelphia), so my experiences are probably not comparable. And who doesn't love dinosaurs, animals and nature, so being at a natural science museum makes it easy to attract a diverse population. But, my museum's website has been by far the biggest source for inquiries. It is key to make information about volunteering easy to find through a link on the landing page, and it is helpful to have information that gives potential volunteers an idea of what they would be doing (actual tasks needed to be done). And, making it easy for them to contact someone who will respond quickly with a position description and application form is also key.

There are some low-cost things that you might consider: Posting a flyer in local libraries, hosting an "open house" for potential volunteers (which you would need to market in some way), contacting garden clubs, posting a flyer at garden centers or nurseries, putting a note in local newspapers (community events section), contacting schools and local colleges. Retired teachers are often great volunteers, so if there is a newsletter or communication link used by retired teachers you might try that. Obviously contacting the Japanese community in your region is important. I actually get a fair number of requests from Volunteer Match and have found that using every possible recruitment means is worth a shot. You never know if your next best volunteer will find you because they saw a flyer somewhere.  It might be good to actually contact staff at other Japanese cultural centers and gardens to see what has worked for them.

You might consider taking on teen volunteers if you are prepared to give them strong supervision. College students tend to be too busy to give a good commitment but unpaid interns – even if only present for a few months – can make a contribution. You would need to design the internship carefully so that it offers the chance to gain a lot of knowledge and skills.

You need to start with what you need volunteers to assist you with. For some tasks perhaps a short-term volunteer or even a one-time group (corporate volunteers or college service fraternity) is worth considering.

Most volunteers – including baby-boomers now retiring – do not want to invest in an intensive up-front training typical of docent programs where you need to spend months of classes before you actually volunteer. If on-the-job training works, then that can speed the process of getting people involved.

Hope some of those ideas are useful.

Lois Kuter

Manager, Volunteer Services

Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University

215 299-1029

Lvk26@drexel.edu

image001.jpg@01D2E03B.C4B7FC50

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Attracting Volunteers

Posted 06-22-2017 09:33 AM
    We have a wide variety of volunteer needs for our small  museum. Filling different needs requires more than one strategy. For our gardens we have several area groups including the Master Gardeners, and have organizations (like Hospice) that want to help.  We have had a university sorority adopt an area, but they only lasted a year. Universities also provide students for internships, but they are short-term volunteers. However, project-based, they can accomplish a lot in a little time.

We have an annual volunteer recruiting program, which begins in January, announced in area newspapers. The results have been good. We provide orientations mid-week (geared for retirees) and on Saturday (for folks that work during the week). The numbers fluctuate, but having a consistent  program  has enabled us to bring in new blood and keep our core volunteer numbers relatively stable over the years. We boast an in-depth training program that keeps volunteers active, learning about topics connected to our museum / park mission. Most of our training classes are open to the public, enabling us to market our volunteer program continually throughout the year.

If we had a full-time volunteer coordinator, the task would be easier, but we've done well enough with an intermittent position. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

------------------------------
    Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist, Certified
    Interpretive Planner
    Falls of the Ohio State Park / Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 4.  RE: Attracting Volunteers

Posted 06-22-2017 11:24 AM
    Michael,

I agree with all the suggestions Lois made. I have had great success recruiting <g class="gr_ gr_761 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="761" data-gr-id="761">volunteer</g> docents through professional organizations, especially retired professors, teachers, and attorneys. In your area, I am sure you could tap into the acting and improv community for recruits as well. I also have success recruiting at homeowner association volunteer fairs and other community gatherings that are presented by the Chamber of Commerce. Another suggestion would be your local Toastmasters Club, they have wonderful speakers and members looking for opportunities to hone their skills. 

We do work with college and in some cases HS students, but as Lois stated, they need more demanding management, but the benefits are they are very energetic and sometimes have several years to be able to commit. 

Social media (especially Facebook) plays an important role where you can showcase and celebrate your current volunteers and invite people to join the fun. 

The Morikami docent program is a combination of classroom instruction, self-study, peer-to-peer mentoring and on-the-job training. Our docents work in small groups, where new docents observe and take on small tasks until they reach certain milestones to begin playing larger roles with tours. Starting immediately gives volunteers a sense of accomplishment and camaraderie with fellow docents, gets them working sooner and helps with their retention.  

Best of luck recruiting! 

Diane Valentini
    Volunteer and Docent Coordinator
    Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens
    Delray Beach FL