Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-02-2017 04:40 PM

Recently I have come in conflict with the Board Director at the historic house museum where I work as Education Director over access and use of visitor emails. In the process of booking field trips I collect emails from the teachers reserving the program to send them guidebooks and their confirmation. Nowhere do I state that the emails can be used for other purposes and there is no opt-in or opt-out for promotional emails. I never use email addresses collected as part of the reservation process to send marketing or fundraising materials that are not part of education/field trip programming. The board director has approached me wanting me to give a list of all my home school registrants (for field trips) to them for use in fundraising and other marketing campaigns. I felt really uncomfortable to do so and refused on the grounds of the CAN-SPAM Act, but now she has come back saying that I MUST give those emails to the board. I feel like I am being asked to do something both unethical and possibly illegal. Also, my director is not backing me up on this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you!

------------------------------
    Tonya Staggs
    Education Director
    Travellers Rest Plantation & Museum
    Nashville TN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-02-2017 04:59 PM
    I'm not sure what to say if the CAN-SPAM Act argument didn't work, but I'm with you. You absolutely should not give over those email addresses without getting permission from the owners first. I don't know that it's illegal, but it is unethical. I'm the board president of one organization and I sit on two other boards. I would never ask the staff to give me email addresses. Those should stay with the staff "owner" and treated like donor information, which by AFP ethics, should be confidential. 

What about sending a bulk email to the teachers and home schoolers with a link for them to sign up for the general email list? Or something that tells them they've been added to the general list but can opt out if they want? I would try to find a way to "market" joining the email list to this special group. These groups are our life blood, and we don't want to turn them off, but they may be valuable donors and ambassadors for us.

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-03-2017 08:37 AM

Provided you didn't also say that you would use those emails for no other purpose, it's neither illegal nor unethical to use them for other purposes, if you make it very easy to opt-out of continuing emails (one-click unsubscribe is best). It's common practice for institutions of any kind to change their email marketing strategies and opt people into new lists, etc.

That said, it does sound like your director is pretty insensitive to how this will impact a valuable constituency. Be very clear and precise about how valuable they are to you, and how it will negatively impact the institution to treat them badly.

I might also ask how the organization is collecting other addresses. Fundamentally you've treated these almost as personal contacts. Are others being asked to join in sharing all their contact lists? Why/why not?

Good luck,

Matt

Matt Morgan
    President, Concrete Computing
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-04-2017 06:41 PM
    ​Thanks so much for the great advice!  I was already thinking that my approach should be to suggest we create an email/marketing policy, and also that I will add the option to sign-up to receive promotional emails (at least in my correspondence), and email my current list with the option to sign up.  I have run a very successful education department for quite a long time now and my teachers trust me...so, even without the CAN-SPAM Act I would be violating my own ethics and the reputation of my department by handing over emails that were given solely for reservation purposes.  Our site doesn't quite run as a whole, so I've implemented my own policies for my department, and generally I'm left alone since I generate good numbers.  However, they are now seeing my department as a cash cow to cover lack of fundraising. I'm fighting back already about raising prices and now this.  Last week I was told I needed to maximize education profits...but, that is a whole different post.  Again, thanks for the feedback - for the most part it backed up what I was already thinking and my options for (hopefully) staying true to my ethics, the reputation of my department...and, not getting fired. ;)

Tonya Staggs
    Education Director
    Travellers Rest Plantation & Museum
    Nashville TN

• 5.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-03-2017 08:48 AM
    If the responses by the teachers are sent to you at the museum's email account (e.g. tstaggs@trpm.org) rather than your personal account, then it seems to me that the museum has the right to the correspondence and can use the teachers' emails as they wish.  You can certainly register your disapproval.
    I agree with the earlier writers that there is nothing unethical about using these addresses for fund raising and advertising as long as an easy opt out option is provided.

Alan Steinfeld MD
    New York Botanical Garden
    Bronx NY

• 6.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-03-2017 09:56 AM
    You're in a tough spot Tonya.  It is unfortunate that the director is not backing you but when a board chair gets an unwise bee in his or her bonnet it is hard to deflect.  You definitely don't want to alienate your school audiences.  I would not be surprised if the schools themselve have restrictions on how emails can be used.  There are a lot of security measures in place at schooles now.  You might look into this.  To use anyone's email in a manner not directly agreed to by the email "owner" is unacceptable to say the least.  A museum's reputation is its most important asset and when that is damaged it is hard to repair.  Teachers talk to teachers and if the word gets out that they are being approached for money, or any other  inappropropriate or non-approved reason, your hard work will be undermined.    I doubt your personnel manual/policy prohibits the unauthorised use of emails but this might be the time to insert such language, with board approval of course.  Perhaps there are other trustees who would be allies in this issue.  It is not always a good idea for staff to contact trustees directly about sticky issues and especially if that contact will be contradicting the board chair, but...
    In the meantime you can esaily note to teachers and others, in writing (and emails are writing), when they work with you their email addresses will not be used for anything other than the subject at hand.  You do not need board approval for this housekeeping matter.

Good luck,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 7.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-03-2017 09:59 AM
    Nowhere do I state that the emails can be used for other purposes and there is no opt-in or opt-out for promotional emails.
    This really is the key in my opinion. When I give my email to an organization I expect it to be used for the purpose implied at the time it was handed over. If there is no "opt-out of promotional email" option on the form, I assume I will not be receiving promotional email (or I simply do not provide my address if I don't trust the organization). I would say that what your director is asking is unethical, but they may not understand why.

It is common for people to expect spam after giving their email address out to an organization. It's a sad commentary on how low our expectations have become as a consequence of how companies have treated us over the last decade, but it is an assumption that many people have, and a behavior that many have stopped questioning. Try to put it in terms your director would understand. Remind them that email is not some fake digital thing that's somehow separate from the rest of reality, and that it doesn't follow different basic rules of etiquette and trust. Compare it to handing over donor phone numbers, or sending people to knock on the doors of every teacher at their home address. Ask them if they think either of those two options are okay. If they say yes, then there's a bigger divide between your perspectives than maybe you realized.

Remind them that unsolicited email marketing is terribly ineffective. There is very little to gain from doing this, no matter how much an email marketing firm claims otherwise. Opt-in email marketing can be pretty effective, but spam is not and never really has been. The only reason spam continues to exist is because of the scale of spam operations. A 0.5% click rate can amount to success when you're sending out literally millions of mails. But when you're targeting a community of teachers in your local area, that unsolicited email will be lucky to get a single positive response. It's not worth the risk of alienating your contacts over.

At the very least, you should provide an "opt-out of promo emails" checkbox from now on when collecting emails from anyone, so that the argument is more clear the next time someone asks for your contact list. We are always clear when we collect email addresses that they will be used for one and only one purpose, or we provide an opt-out field of some kind at the time of email collection. These conversations then never occur, because we already know which contacts have agreed to receive promotional email, and which haven't. That doesn't help you much now, but it should help in the future.

As for the CAN-SPAM act: Technically, as long as you provide the recipient with an opt-out mechanism in the email (and honor those opt-outs in future mails) it's not a violation. So you don't have to worry about the $40,654 fine (per email sent). But pointing out to your director that such fines exist might help make the point that sending unsolicited email is a problem that should be taken seriously. CAN-SPAM penalties usually end up in fines that are millions of dollars (it only takes 25 emails to break a million in fines, and some states, like California, add additional penalties on top of the federal fines).

I am not a lawyer, and you shouldn't take any legal advice from me. Read the law yourself. Consult an actual expert, etc.
    eCFR - Code of Federal Regulations
    Ecfr remove preview
    eCFR - Code of Federal Regulations
    (p) "Valid physical postal address" means the sender's current street address, a Post Office box the sender has accurately registered with the United States Postal Service, or a private mailbox the sender has accurately registered with a commercial mail receiving agency that is established pursuant to United States Postal Service regulations.
    View this on Ecfr >
    Shorter guide here:
    CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business
    Federal Trade Commission remove preview
    CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business
    Do you use email in your business? The CAN-SPAM Act, a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have you stop emailing them, and spells out tough penalties for violations. Despite its name, the CAN-SPAM Act doesn't apply just to bulk email.
    View this on Federal Trade Commission >

Matt Popke
    Developer
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-04-2017 09:30 AM
    While I agree with one of the earlier posters that "cold-call" style email fundraising is unlikely to produce results, I don't see an issue with the museum communicating with people who have established a relationship with the institution.  If your board member wanted the email addresses for some other purpose (ie promoting another business), that would be unethical and risk compromising your relationships the educators you've been cultivating.  As it is, you're just informing your own constituency about a different aspect of the organization (marketing, fundraising, upcoming events, etc.). Your board member isn't totally off base in thinking that those who have already visited the institution or participated in a program are more likely to be interested in what else you might be working on, and it strikes me as a reasonable request.

If I were in your shoes, I would do two things: make it clear that an opt-out clause needs to be available on all electronic correspondence, and enlist the support of another board member or two to help draft a communications policy moving forward that clearly articulates that while you may use collected email addresses for organizational communications, you won't use them for outside purposes or share them with anyone else.

I don't think it's worth it for you to fight your board member on this, though.

Robin Sarratt
    Vice President
    LancasterHistory.org
    Lancaster PA

• 9.  RE: Visitor Email Ethics

Posted 08-04-2017 03:48 PM
    ​Tonya:

It would not be unreasonable for your Board to establish a policy that any e-mail addresses obtained by Museum personnel as part of their official Museum duties should be turned over for use in future marketing and/or development efforts on behalf of the Museum.  However, it would also be reasonable for you, your director, and/or other members of your Board to request that, as part of this policy, any such marketing and/or development use of these e-mail addresses must be accompanied by the option to opt out of their receipt and that such opt out requests will be immediately implemented to insure compliance with the CAN-SPAM Act.  Indeed it would be irresponsible for either a museum professional or a Board member knowledgeable about this Act to fail to insist on the Museum's adherence to its regulations.  Furthermore, it would equally be reasonable for the formulation and implementation of such a policy to involve discussion of the possibility that not all e-mail addresses collected by Museum personnel should be treated equally.  Does the Museum really want to include in an e-mail blast for the upcoming Friends group auction or a general membership appeal the curator-collected e-mail address of a reclusive and curmudgeonly major collector in the area who is currently being cultivated for a substantial collection bequest?  Maybe, but maybe not. 

What I find disturbing about your experience with your "Board Director" based upon your description is not the appropriateness of such a policy, but how this policy is apparently being implemented.  Why is this Board member pressuring you directly for this information instead of asking your Director as the Museum's CEO to implement such a policy museum-wide in a rational and systematic fashion with due consideration of appropriate exceptions.   By doing so this Board member has moved out of the governance realm of working with his Board colleagues to collectively formulate appropriate policies and monitor their implementation by the staff and assumed a role that should be your Director's (i.e. management of the Museum's employees in implementation of Museum policy).  It makes me question whether this is actually a policy established collectively by the Board or simply the actions of a "cowboy" Board member who likes to take the "reins" and make things happen personally.  It is hard to tell whether that is just your description giving me this impression or whether it is genuine aspect of the interaction.  With that caution, I'll leave you to decide whether that indeed applies. 

John Coraor, PhD
    Director of Cultural Affairs
    Town of Huntington
    Huntington, NY