Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Projecting Onto Glass

• 1.  Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 06-30-2021 02:04 PM
    ISO information about projecting a moving image onto clear glass that can be viewed from both sides of the glass partition. A quick internet search shows how it might be achieved (at least to my novice eye) with a film that is applied to the glass.....we are looking to use it in a small application and, as always, budget is an issue. Does anyone have any insight/experience they can share to point us in the right direction? Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Christin Byrum
    Director of Museums
    Museums of Oglebay Institute
    Wheeling WV
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-01-2021 08:45 AM
    The key phrase in your question is "viewed from both sides of the glass partition." That's the tough part. The other issue is quality. For all the hype (and it can be really cool!) getting a high-quality rear-projected image is not easy and requires considering all factors of the installation, surface, projection, ambient light, angles, etc... In my experience, rear-projection on film is softer than front projection and has a translucent quality that depends on how much other light is coming from behind the screen.

But back to "both sides." While a rear-projected image can be seen on both sides, the "front" image is going to be substantially better. The rear image, at the very least, will be overbright and washed out. And of course, it will be backward. Using film, one side is now plastic film, not glass. The film is subject to damage. You can purchase screens where the film is layered inside, but this is obviously more expensive.

You also have a projection angle problem. Objects (people) on the projector side will cast shadows. It is possible to project at very steep angles, minimizing shadows, but rear projection at a steep angle requires the screen surface to be specifically designed for angled projection.

So, it can be done, but it's not particularly simple. If you want to work with existing glass, then film is your solution, but working out the details will require research and experimentation.

Cheers,
                     tod

Tod Hopkins
    Technical Director
    Hillmann & Carr Inc.
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-01-2021 12:22 PM

Glass is clear - anything you shine on it (including an image) shoots right through it, unobstructed.  

You'll need to coat your glass with something semi-opaque.  Google for "holographic projection film".  You'll notice the less expensive stuff has bad reviews, and the stuff with good reviews is outrageously expensive.

Do note that one side of your projection will be projected correctly and the opposing side will be backwards.  Any words, lettering, signage, graphics will be backwards from the back side.

Mike Watson
    San Diego History Center
    San Diego CA

• 4.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-01-2021 05:01 PM
    Edited by Jerry Foley 07-01-2021 05:04 PM
    Well this may not answer your question directly but perhaps will provide some direction.  I spent over 12 years in Asia and saw a number of things which amazed me and was intrigued quite often how it was done.  Like the first time I was in Singapore (Feb. 2001) for an evening show at Sentosa they projected on water.  (Like a falling stream or thin waterfall.)  The next time I was there (May 2008) this show had changed, but a similar thing was done in which colors were picked up by water being sprayed in the air. 

I also had the good fortune of being at the Expo for 2005 in Nagoya, which I remember had all kinds of presentations.  Including glass that could change color, such as going from transparent to opaque.  

Let me know if you would like any more information in this area.
    Jerry Foley, National Gallery of Art

• 5.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-02-2021 07:11 AM
    Have you considered using a transparent touch screen? The ones I saw demonstrated were sharp on both sides.  I've seen them from a 23"-size on up. I did a Google search and there seem to be a few manufacturers to choose from.

Melanie Solomon
    Principal

• 6.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-02-2021 09:04 AM
    Transparent LED and OLED are quite remarkable. They are also expensive, particularly the OLEDs which are far superior to the LEDs. OLEDs emit light directly and don't require a backlight. Planar makes a stunning 55" OLED "Look-thru" which is nearly frameless. I believe it runs about $19,000 retail. When standing on a table top, it looks like a sheet of glass with a bright moving image on it. Exactly what you are looking for.

The LED versions are essentially  LED monitors without a back, and therefor no backlighting. LED panels themselves don't emit light. They filter light that passes through from a "backlight. Without a built-in backlight these screens require ambient light control to work effectively. Ideally you build them into casework where you control the light inside the case.

Tod Hopkins
    Technical Director
    Hillmann & Carr Inc.
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-02-2021 10:38 AM
    I attended a "new tech" hub at the Tribeca Film Festival a number of years ago and was impressed by this installation. (image attached). I took a photo of the screen brand ( DA-LITE) as well as what looks like a channel controller. It was a very effective display with video visible on both sides of the "screens." Hope this is helpful

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-06-2021 12:14 AM
    Tod Hopkins reply is 100%.

But if you're looking to try something out without spending a lot of money, and imperfect results are better than no results at all, I've projected onto vellum successfully many times. 16-pound vellum comes in 24-in. wide rolls. You can tape it to windows using cellophane tape.

Next level up is rear screen projection fabric. The big theater supply companies sell it by the yard.

Jason
    Principal
    Flutter & Wow Museum Projects

Jason Jay Stevens
    Exhibit Designer/Principal
    Flutter & Wow Museum Projects
    Ann Arbor MI

• 9.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-06-2021 09:00 AM
    I love the vellum idea. I'm dying to try it. Never be afraid to experiment when you have the luxury.

Tod Hopkins
    Technical Director
    Hillmann & Carr Inc.
    Washington DC

• 10.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-06-2021 10:25 AM
    Hi, I saw someone suggest vellum, which does work. A similarly cheap idea that can work a bit better is frosted vinyl - you can even get a sample from a local sign shop for experimentation. I've tried both, and I like the frosted vinyl better since it clings evenly to the glass.

I'm also seeing this cool product, which is specifically designed for what you want. And it looks relatively cheap. https://www.rearprojectionfilms.com/

Tom Howes
    Exhibits Technician
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 11.  RE: Projecting Onto Glass

Posted 07-06-2021 01:09 PM
    That link provides the best overview of the Screen Solutions Inc. (SSI) rear projection film line that I've seen. It's better than than the description on their main site. 

I see that they provide a film that is specifically designed to work with Ultra-short throw projection for viewing on both sides. I have not seen this in action. Hopefully soon.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom, they offer sample packs.

Cheers,
                      tod

Tod Hopkins
    Hillmann & Carr Inc.
    2233 Wisconsin Ave., NW
    Washington, DC 20007
    Main: 202-342-0001
    Mobile: 443-472-5978