Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Marketing Challenges

Posted 07-09-2019 09:41 AM
    Hello all, 

I am soon to be working with a museum doing marketing, and I am doing some research to prepare. I know this is a broad question and that the challenges are unique to every museum, but any information you can provide will be helpful. 

What marketing challenges can I expect to face?
    What marketing challenges do you face in your institution? 

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------
    Eva Flood
    marketing.inspireawe.net
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Marketing Challenges

Posted 07-10-2019 12:19 PM
    I would strongly suggest you take a look at Colleen Dilenschneider's blogs (Know Your Own Bone).  She makes a terrific case for the inter-relatedness of marketing, social media and visitor engagement.   Here's the link to her "Marketing" page with several key past blogs (but don't stop there!): https://www.colleendilen.com/category/marketing/

--
    Janice Klein
    EightSixSix Consulting
    SMAC-AAM Board Member

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Marketing Challenges

Posted 07-12-2019 12:25 PM
    I totally agree with Janice. I just finished up my thesis on Instagram Story's impact on museum marketing and I used her blog frequently. She has great data to support her claims as well! There is also some value in understanding traditional marketing techniques and understanding non-profit marketing. Claxon marketing is a great resource for non-profit marketing information as well!

Isabelle Dunne
    Museology Graduate Program - University of Washington
    Seattle WA

• 4.  RE: Marketing Challenges

Posted 07-11-2019 08:55 AM
    I started working at a museum 3.5 years ago with no prior experience (I have a broadcast journalism degree and experience in government media). The marketing challenge I've faced, and is also a challenge to the museum as an institution, is audience research.

I highly suggest looking into ways to make sure you know and understand your market audience. Museum people are creative and fun--but sometimes there's a disconnect between what "we think people want" and what "people really want." You'll want data to back up whatever is being said. Sometimes museum staff is on point, but there will be a couple of people who disagree. I've created, with the help of the Development team and ED, specific surveys for special events--and it's really been key to us in brainstorming PLUS it's helped me in marketing/advertising with certain channels and on social media. For example, I decided to venture into digital marketing and the sales reps asked me, "Who are you trying to target? What's the age range?" etc. Luckily the data I had gathered the last three years was a huge help. Also, going to AAM conferences has made me realize it is important to know all that information. It is vital! I can't stress it enough!

Pamela Morales
    Communications Officer
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX