Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-22-2019 01:29 PM
    I have been at a museum before where we outlined what part of a membership fee could be used as a donation.  Does anyone have a policy like this?  

For example a Corporate Membership at 1,000.  COuldn't that be considered a donation?

I remember had some kind of fee for membership, amount that was considered their benefits.. then the rest was donation.

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-25-2019 06:54 AM
    My understanding of IRS code is that ALL of membership fees are considered tax deductible....because the value received in return is intrinsic.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-25-2019 11:09 AM
      |   view attached
    The entirety of our membership fee is considered tax-deductible based on the 'intrinsic value' mentioned above. However, for leadership memberships ($1,000 and above), we provide additional benefits that do have strict quantitative value. For those memberships we offer the option of waiving benefits (entire membership cost is tax-deductible) or, if the donor wishes to utilize the benefits, we clearly indicate the portion of the donation that is tax-deductible (e.g. at our $1,000 level we provide benefits valued at $190 making the tax-deductible portion of the gift $810). Attaching an example of our gift agreement for these higher level memberships as an example.

Samilja Heim
    Development Director
    Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College
    Colorado Springs CO

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-25-2019 12:05 PM
    If the member receives guest passes, tours or anything with value that must be deducted from the original cost to get to the tax deductible amount.

KarenLee Parmelee
    Membership Associate
    Grounds for Sculpture
    Hamilton NJ

• 5.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-25-2019 12:47 PM
    I don't believe that's true.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 6.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-25-2019 01:13 PM
    This is very good info. I think since we have free admission, most of the membership should be.  We do offer benefits such as passes to a tour, so the cost of those should be deducted.

Thank you all for your help.
    David

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 7.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-25-2019 11:51 AM
    ​Here are some IRS guidelines for membership tax deductibility:
    - If you have a membership category at $75 and below - the entire amount is considered tax deductible, as benefits are considered deminimus (Unless you are like a Smithsonian where you get a magazine, then you have to deduct the fair market value of that benefit from the amount of the membership.
    - Since you all have categories above the $75, you only have to deduct the FMV of benefits NOT offered at the $75 level and below from the higher membership level (eg at the $150 level you might also offer two free guest passes - in that case, if admission is $10, you would have to deduct $20 from the $150, for a tax deductibility amount of $130 at that level.  If you had a benefit of dinner with the Director at the $1000 level, the FMV of a nice dinner for two might be $50 a person, so you would deduct $100 and the tax deductible amount would be $900.)
    - separate from the IRS tax deductibility question, we have one client, the Santa Barbara Zoo, who specifically tells all members that $5 of their membership donation goes directly to support their local, California endangered species project to save the California Condor and Channel Island fox - a way to assure their members that they are also supporting important conservation work which is part of the Zoo's mission.

I hope this helps.  This topic and much more is covered in our membership book entitled "Membership Marketing in the Digital Age."

Dana Hines
    Membership Consultants
    dana@membership-consultants.com

Dana Hines
    Vice President Membership Marketing

Membership Consultants
    Saint Louis MO
    dana@membership-consultants.com

• 8.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-26-2019 10:20 AM
    I have been working on a Corporate Membership plan utilizing elements from several different plans I am familiar with.  Under these plans, based on number of employees, the benefits include free admission for employees and IMMEDIATE family, X number of free hours of event rental space, plus whatever additional fees usually apply and a limited number of invitations to special events, such as exhibit openings.  The value of what the companies would be offered is significant in many cases.  My board seems to disagree that the whole membership cannot be deducted.  This is all useful.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 9.  RE: Portion of Membership fee to declare as donation

Posted 02-26-2019 11:16 AM
    David.  The IRS rules may be totally different for corporations.  Many times their "donation" could be coming out of their marketing budgets which will be considered a business expense.  You can certainly let them know the fair market value of what they are receiving. But it is on their accountants not you to confirm any tax deductibility

I am not the major gifts expert, but I do believe anyone making a larger membership/donation from a family foundation can take NO benefits.  

Dana

Sent from my iPhone