Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Visitor Photos

Posted 03-01-2017 10:07 AM
    At the Society of the Four Arts, we have an ever-changing schedule of traveling exhibits. Has anyone had success working with exhibition lenders to allow social media/cell phone photography? Is there any new information or best practices that I can share with our curatorial team to encourage them to press for more freedom for guests to take photos? 

More than ever, visitors are trying to share their experiences when they visit us, which is wonderful. I think it's a big mistake to take the possibility of a positive share that will inform new audiences and garner goodwill, and turn it into an awkward or potentially negative encounter with a security guard. I would love to hear what other institutions are doing. 

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Katie Edwards
    Director of Communications
    The Society of the Four Arts
    Palm Beach, FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Visitor Photos

Posted 03-01-2017 10:56 AM
    Edited by Skye Malish-Olson 03-01-2017 11:46 AM
    Is the restriction on taking photos in the exhibits an institutional policy, or lender requirements for specific objects on loan?

In the case of an overall institutional policy, an evaluation via your marketing team would be a helpful tool to show value of social media, as you said, "that will inform new audiences and garner goodwill." I absolutely agree that admonishing visitors for taking and sharing photos, which they are accustomed to doing almost everywhere, will negatively affect visitor experience. 

If specific objects may not be photographed as per your agreement with the lender, perhaps you can create or frame specific photo-friendly sites within the exhibition, or directly outside of it, as designated places where photos are allowed. That way, guards can let visitors know there is no photography of the objects, but point them to a photo-op where it is allowed. Visitors will have something positive to share on social media from the exhibition if that is what they want to do. Museums are increasingly using hashtags to promote individual exhibitions, and this can be incorporated into the graphic design, such as vinyl letters on the floor in front of a photo-friendly site. 

Skye Malish-Olson
    Exhibition Designer
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Visitor Photos

Posted 03-02-2017 10:50 AM

Dear People:

A one size fits all policy for photo taking is not the best policy in my opinion.  For example, photographic prints are uniquely vulnerable to being photographed and, when the photo has been taken, you have just increased the photographer's challenge in protecting her or his copyright.

Additionally, with the advent of the new high-res camera phones and light weight, no flash cameras, a photo capture of an excellent photographic print enables multi-use of the image without the photographer knowing how it is to be used or where.

I would contend a lot of the visiting public needs to be educated about the rights of an artist to protect the use of their images. Most people, at least initially, probably mean no harm by snapping a photo of an exhibit. However, having that super quality image on their phone and camera then leads to mass distribution of the image to friends and family.

BTW, a friend of mine visited a Met exhibit in New York a couple of months ago and the museum had stationed a guard next to certain paintings to stop the photography.

Photographing of photographic prints by the public causes problems.

---------------------

Ann McMahon

Photographer

www.AnnMcMahon.com

===========================