Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

2020 conference

• 1.  2020 conference

Posted 03-17-2020 11:33 AM
    Is the conference still happening? Everything is getting cancelled into May so we're just wondering.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-18-2020 09:26 AM
    This is the AAM email response to that question as of yesterday, March 17:

"Thank you for your email! The 2020 AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo is scheduled to take place as planned on May 17-20 in San Francisco. More information about the status of the Annual Meeting, the precautions we're taking, and our cancellation policy can be found here: https://annualmeeting.aam-us.org/covid-19-coronavirus-faq/. This page is reviewed and updated regularly.
    Let me know if you have any further questions."

------------------------------
    SethFrankel
    Principal, Studio Tectonic
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    seth@studiotectonic.com
    www.studiotectonic.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-19-2020 09:00 AM
    In a meeting with some AAM folks last week, it sounded like they would make a decision around April 1. I think they are also thinking about how to make more of the conference virtual.

Elizabeth Kollmann
    Manager, Research & Evaluation
    Museum of Science
    Boston MA

• 4.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-19-2020 09:26 AM
    Edited by Seth Frankel 03-19-2020 09:26 AM
    Yesterday, I received a detailed online survey from AAM asking wide-ranging questions about attendance. I'm sure many on this forum received it as well. It did not state a particular decision date. No doubt, they're wrestling the likelihood of being able to pull off a successful annual meeting. ​​

Seth Frankel
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    seth@studiotectonic.com
    www.studiotectonic.com

• 5.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-20-2020 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the latest, Liz!

Saleem Penny
    VP, Community & Educational Partnerships
    Chicago Children's Museum
    Chicago IL

• 6.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-23-2020 09:15 AM
    Sometimes you just have decide the obvious, like an adult, not a business.

Virginia Curry
    Consultant
    Flower Mound TX

• 7.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-24-2020 08:11 AM
    I read in the FAQs on the conference website that they are still waiting to decide.
    I also saw that registration will be offered to roll over to the Chicago 2021 date. 
    But I can only go because I'm a presenter (per my Museum's guidelines) so I don't think it's an option, unless they roll over the theme to Chicago as well.
    Our state has now done a 30 day lock down on non essential businesses, etc. Schools are closed for the rest of the year. 
    I can't imagine that the SF conference will be able to proceed. Thousands of people from all over the country? And a virus where you can be asymptomatic for more than two weeks?

Lauren Furey
    Manager of Visitor Engagement
    Mariners' Museum
    Newport News VA

• 8.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-24-2020 08:50 AM
    Lauren,

The two events scheduled in early June to follow AAM in the same halls at the San Francisco Moscone Center have been made virtual or been cancelled. The event scheduled in the adjacent hall to AAM during the same time as AAM has been shifted to September. In May, only AAM and one other event on May 27-29 have not changed or cancelled according to the website. After June 9th it is not appearing that other events have published Covid-19 related changes.

http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list

Warmly,
    Seth

SethFrankel
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    seth@studiotectonic.com
    www.studiotectonic.com

• 9.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-24-2020 12:17 PM
    Thanks, Seth!  I would also add that if the schools and colleges are closed for the summer, then they should cancel the conference.

Lauren Furey
    Mariners' Museum
    Newport News VA

• 10.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-24-2020 03:42 PM
    I feel it is time to just cancel. It will not be the same if it is virtual and right now we are almost into April and most things are on lock down until the end of April and many schools are not going back for quite some time. Even if some how this starts to get a little better, most people are not going to want to travel for some time. I was hoping they would make the decision to cancel the conference before April 17th which is their deadline for us to cancel. I would rather not lose $75.

Tracy Leach
    Archivist
    Disney Animation Research Library
    Burbank CA

• 11.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-25-2020 10:14 AM
    I'm sure there's an enormous amount of red tape surrounding the cancellation of a conference of this scale. If AAM cancels before they are forced to (by the city, or the facility, or...) then AAM has pulled out of a contract. AAM is probably waiting patiently to see if another entity forces cancellation of the Annual Meeting and in doing so voids AAM's cancellation penalties. Timing is crucial, I suspect. This is just my hunch and I'm offering AAM my patience. Be safe everyone!

Matthew Kirchman
    President | Creative Director
    ObjectIDEA
    Salem MA

• 12.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-25-2020 12:52 PM
    Matthew, that makes a lot of sense. Let's see what happens. I'm really hoping it's canceled personally. But let's see!

• 13.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-25-2020 11:43 AM

Many of us in management positions in museums have had to make difficult decisions in the face of COVID-19.  Weeks ago, we made decisions to postpone or cancel our events through the end of May and into June.  We have refunded payments and deposits for programs, weddings and other rentals, even though many were well past the cutoff date. There are potentially negative financial consequences, but it is simply the right thing to do.  Postponing an inevitable decision, at this point, just causes more stress for everyone involved. Now, museum professionals need to be focused on helping our communities, museums, employees, and supporters, not worrying about the conference. It is time for the leadership of AAM to be true leaders and cancel or postpone the conference and refund the full registration fees.  If they can't manage to do that in the height of a pandemic, how can they continue to lead and represent the entire museum field?

Rex Garniewicz PhD
    President and CEO
    Coastal Discovery Museum
    Hilton Head Island SC

• 14.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-25-2020 12:48 PM
    I agree, Rex.
    It says in the FAQs on the AAM Conference that the vendors from Exhibition Hall won't get refunds because the cut off date was last December?
    I think it would be the smartest and most professional decision to cancel. 
    I can't cancel hotels or flights or anything until the official word.

Lauren Furey
    Mariners' Museum
    Newport News VA

• 15.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-25-2020 12:55 PM
    I agree, Rex. Thanks for this.

• 16.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-26-2020 08:57 AM

When I worked at AASLH, we had to cancel the 2001 meeting due to 9/11.  We gave everyone the option of a refund, turning their payments into donations, or applying their funds to next year.  Thankfully we had event insurance as the 2000 conference was in New Orleans and we were concerned about hurricanes and never dropped the policy.

If they have event insurance, it should cover the major costs AAM is committed to for their conference.

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicegov.com

Venice Museum & Archives                 City of Venice

http://www.venicemuseum.org/       http://venicegov.com

Museums provide places of relaxation and inspiration.

And most importantly, they are a place of authenticity.
    - Thomas Campbell

• 17.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-27-2020 10:01 AM

Hi everyone, looks like AAM made the cancellation announcement concerning the 2020 conference a couple weeks ago: https://annualmeeting.aam-us.org/covid-19-coronavirus-faq/

Not sure why they didn't contact presenters/attendees. Follow the link for more information about a virtual program and cancellation questions.

Danielle Schulz
    Manager of Adult and Access Programs
    Denver CO

• 18.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-27-2020 10:25 AM
    The decision was made 19 hours ago. As a presenter, I got the email yesterday at 3:00 in the afternoon.

Lauren Furey
    Mariners' Museum
    Newport News VA

• 19.  RE: 2020 conference

Posted 03-27-2020 11:37 AM