Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Digital Signage - CMS recommendations

Posted 07-22-2019 11:03 AM
    Dear Colleagues,
    I am looking to update arrival digital signage that would include donor information, admissions and programming information. Do you have any recommendations for cloud based CMS's related to digital signage updating and or particular screens?

------------------------------
    Dr. Mark Osterman
    Digital Experience Manager
    Lowe Art Museum
    University of Miami
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Digital Signage - CMS recommendations

Posted 07-23-2019 07:00 AM
    Hi Mark,
    I've used both Brightsign (https://www.brightsign.biz/) and Scala (https://scala.com/) in different museums for digital signage. Brightsign has a range of options from stand alone players to cloud based CMS. If everything is on the same network, you can manage content without paying for cloud service. The interface isn't intuitive, but once you figure it out it's easy to implement and manage on your own.

Scala has a few more options and integrations. I'd suggest hiring someone to help implement if you go this route. I worked with Hammond Communications in Lexington, KY and they were really knowledgeable about the product. Let me know if you need any more information.

Best,
    John

John Shaw
    MUSEUM EXP
    creative direction | project management | experience development | traveling exhibitions
    Fort Myers FL
    john@museumexp.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Digital Signage - CMS recommendations

Posted 07-23-2019 09:27 AM
    Hi Mark,

I am a former Lowe employee and am excited to hear you tackling this project! If you decide to go with the Brightsign format which I agree with John on being a great option, I recommend you speaking with Benny from Miami Art Services whom we contract for installation help. They have experience installing and working with the Brightsign equipment and know of some local resources in Miami that have programming experience. 

I would also take a look at Intuiface, which contrary to Brightsign is intuitive, and has a free license so you can mess with it before committing substantial dollars. Hope this helps, good luck and say Hi to everyone for me!

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan Farrell
    Exhibitions & Collections Manager
    Stark Museum of Art
    Orange TX

• 4.  RE: Digital Signage - CMS recommendations

Posted 07-24-2019 09:13 AM
    Hi Mark,
    We're implementing a digital greeting kiosk and we are looking at using a BrightSign player (which we also use with all our gallery videos) and a could-based CMS. Some of the CMS we're looking at (that work with BrightSign) include EngagePHD (https://www.engagephd.com/) and Mvix (https://mvixdigitalsignage.com/), which are both very user friendly.

BrightSign has their own CMS (BrightAuthor), but like John said, it's not very user friendly and even their sales rep I've been working with says its not the best for digital wayfinding or greeting. In terms of screens, we're going to use a Peerless All In One kiosk that has an LG 10-point touchscreen (because our will be used more for wayfinding, not just as a content display) and an included BrightSign. Hope this helps!

Nola Berish
    Tampa Bay History Center
    Tampa FL

• 5.  RE: Digital Signage - CMS recommendations

Posted 07-24-2019 11:44 AM
    Hi. The best IMHO is SignageLive cloud-base CMS for digital signage applications. I am a VAR and also an exhibit director at the Butterfly Pavilion. While I am in Denver, the cloud knows no geographic boundaries. You hang a Samsung SSP and we connect you to the web app, which is easy, and I will be there to help drive initially and get you up to speed. $270/year/player. Price curves for over 10 screens or for 3 years instead of 1.

hokedigital.com

:)​

Ken Hoke
    Exhibits Director
    Broomfield CO